Issue with search permissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with search permissions

A bunch of users have complained about not getting expected search results when using the search functionality. After investigating the issue it turned out that uses from specific usergroups do not seem to have the appropriate permissions to search in specific (sub)forums.

Settings

Usergroup Manager: Forum Searching Permissions -> Can Search Forums -> Yes
    Channel Management -> View Permissions -> Choose specific usergroup -> Check Can Search Forum -> Result: a number of forums are set to No.
    Channel Permissions: I can't see any option to change search permission on (sub)forum level.

So my question is where to set the permission for searching specific (sub)forums?

VB 5.4.5

Each sub-forum will have its own entry on Channel Permissions. You need to set every sub-forum with the proper permissions. Users need to be able to view the channels and the channel content as well as being able to search them to view anything from them.

Can View Channel = Yes.
    Can View Topic Content = Yes.

The Permissions used in the Usergroup Manager are used as a default. If you don't change any other permissions then these permissions will be inherited from the Home Page node under Channel Permissions. The second you switch any usergroup to "Custom Permissions" under Channel Manager. Then only children will inherit them. When using the default AdminCP style, custom permissions show in red when viewing the Channel Permission screen. When using the default AdminCP style, inherited permissions show in orange if they are inherited from anything other than the Home Page node. Unmodified permissions will appear in black.

For custom permissions, you will need to manually make any permissions changes. They will not be inherited from the Home Page.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 6th Aug '19, 1:08pm.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      For custom permissions, you will need to manually make any permissions changes. They will not be inherited from the Home Page.
      So where do I manually change the search permission for specific forums for specific usergroups? It doesn't appear in Channel Permissions. Yet, some are are set to No and others are set to Yes.

Comment

Are these channels with customized permissions? If not, they inherit from the Usergroup permissions through the Home Page node. They will show No unless customized.

There are millions of possible permission permutations on a default installation. It gets more complicated when you add custom channels. I wouldn't know why your users can't search certain channels without looking at your specific setup. Provided they can even view the content to begin with.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Are these channels with customized permissions? If not, they inherit from the Usergroup permissions through the Home Page node. They will show No unless customized.

There are millions of possible permission permutations on a default installation. It gets more complicated when you add custom channels. I wouldn't know why your users can't search certain channels without looking at your specific setup. Provided they can even view the content to begin with.
          They can view the content, so that's covered. Some of these channels have customized permissions, some don't. But that's not the issue. The issue is that I would like to change the settings for search permissions for usergroup A in channel B. Where do I do this? Looking at the channel permissions manager at a random channel for a random usergroup, I do not see any option to set "can search channel".

This is what I see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Channel Permissions Manager.png
Views:	24
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	4419682

I would like to understand which variable in this list manages the permission for searching this specific channel.

When looking at the list of available permissions (see picture below) I do see "Can search forum". So should this setting not be available in the above options?

Name:	View Permissions.png
Views:	16
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	4419683

Comment

The search permission is a Usergroup Permission. It doesn't have a corresponding Channel Permission. If a user can view the content they can search it.

Wayne Luke

Comment

The search permission is a Usergroup Permission. It doesn't have a corresponding Channel Permission. If a user can view the content they can search it.
              Sorry Wayne, I don' get it. Please take a look at this picture. It shows a number of channels for which said usergroup has no search permission. "Nee" means No and "Ja" eans Yes. Yet, when looking at the first listed forum, you can see that this usergroup has all viewing rights for this forum (see second picture).

Name:	View permissions for specific usergroup.png
Views:	18
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	4419688

Name:	Channel permissions for the same usergroup.png
Views:	12
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	4419689

Comment

Yes. The VIEW Permission page doesn't work in vBulletin 5.

https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-12591

Wayne Luke

Comment

Ah, hence my confusion. I will see if I can get access with one of the user's credentials and see what's going on.

Comment