Proper set of Emojis for VB5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper set of Emojis for VB5

Does anyone know where we can get a complete set of modern emojis, exactly like you have on your iphone or android phone, to replace the existing few that come with VB5?? Right now the only way to get these into VB is to use HTML which is a total pain... 💩
    Admin for hobbysquawk.com
    VB 5.5.2
    PHP 7.3.5
    Maria DB 10.2.24

The emoticons are part of a larger set of improvements in development at the moment.

https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-19356

Comment

If your vBulletin 5 site is using UTF8MB4 on the database and the UTF-8 HTML character set along with proper fonts, it will support the Emojis from Mobile Devices.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sat 6th Jul '19, 11:45am.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

It's nice that the VB dev team is looking at upgrading CKEditor, but that is not the interface users want for emojis. People are used to picking emojis by browsing all the emoji icons. The CkEditor route requires users to know the name of the emoji, which isnt possible with 1600+ icons. I guess the issue is that showing 1600+ icons on the screen at the same time is not feasible, so we'll need to have tabs or some other ability to section search group of emojis (just like they do on mobile phones)

Admin for hobbysquawk.com
        VB 5.5.2
        PHP 7.3.5
        Maria DB 10.2.24

Comment

CKEditor has clickable smilies, always has had. You don't need to know the name of the smilie.

Just click the smilie button to expand the list, it will also remember this and keep it expanded until you close it.

Saying that's, 1600 smilies is very much an edge case, and the software isn't really designed with that many in mind.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

If you absolutely insist on using emoticons I'd recommend ICU CDLR. Personally I would rather users use words since emoticons don't exactly encourage discussion but to each her or his or own. All emoticons are based upon Unicode in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by mark.hs View Post
              It's nice that the VB dev team is looking at upgrading CKEditor, but that is not the interface users want for emojis. People are used to picking emojis by browsing all the emoji icons. The CkEditor route requires users to know the name of the emoji, which isnt possible with 1600+ icons. I guess the issue is that showing 1600+ icons on the screen at the same time is not feasible, so we'll need to have tabs or some other ability to section search group of emojis (just like they do on mobile phones)

No it doesn't. Emojis work right now in vBulletin 5 using a UTF-8 HTML character set and utfMB4 MySQL character set.

https://forums.rabidbadger.io/rabidb...2017-emoticons

Those in the link are not using any sort of replacement text and the user can select them directly from their phone or other device. The Emoji standard uses FONTS not Images.

However, one of the improvements that upgrading CKEditor allows us to do is to add a panel of sorted Emoji right into the editor. Using an interface and categories similar to the ones on the phones, people can pick and choose right in the editor.

We are not planning on updating the Smilies included in the software. We can't maintain 1600 Smilies along with a new 100 images added every year. In fact, with Emoji support, they are redundant. The OS and Browser will support the existing ones and will be updated with the new ones every year. We'll have to look into renaming Smilies something like Stickers so people can still use their custom images.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Sun 7th Jul '19, 6:05pm.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment