Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you want EXIF data to be made available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you want EXIF data to be made available?

To all administrators of photography forums, currently vBulletin strips out EXIF data from uploaded images.
    Simple question - would you like to see a way for EXIF data to be made available?
    Yes, absolutely
    33.33%
    Does not bother me
    66.67%
    No
    0%

It's a privacy issue. It's a copyright issue. It's a number of other legal issues. I'm almost positive that's why it's been stripped.

Comment

• CorbinH
      CorbinH commented
      Editing a comment
      I have spent a good portion of this morning checking out photography forums (Flickr, redbubble are not forums) and I could not find any that did not allow EXIF data to be displayed.

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post
    I'm almost positive that's why it's been stripped.
    It is actually a security issue. There is absolutely no standard on what can be stuffed into EXIF. Every camera maker makes up the fields as they go without any sort of oversight or collaboration. Some servers and browsers will execute code stuffed into these fields. So we strip it.

Larger photo sites have more resources and control over their servers that we do not. If we shipped software that allowed code in EXIF to be executed, even on improperly configured servers, it can be devastating. This is something we cannot allow. Even if we allow an option with 128 pt red warning stating not to enable it, then when they have a problem it is our fault.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• In Omnibus
      In Omnibus commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes sense. I was more thinking about how easily manipulated EXIF data is or can be. I seem to recall a case involving John McAfee of McAfee Anti-Virus Software fame manipulating EXIF data to show that he was in one country when he was, in fact, in another one. I believe his underlying point was that the data can be manipulated to show anything.

• Wayne Luke
      Wayne Luke commented
      Editing a comment
      It can. Almost any graphic editor worth purchasing can edit EXIF information. There are also many free standalone utilities to edit it. However, that isn't why we strip it. We couldn't care less if the information is factual or not.

However, most concerns about EXIF is about privacy. I personally have geotagging turned off on my phone.
      Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 17th Jun '19, 11:49am.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X