Problems with the host

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with the host

We know we need to do the update, currently running 5.4.1. Wondering if anyone has encountered trouble with their host. The site is either incredibly slow...I am talking minutes before moving page to page or timing out entirely. Frustratingly I am in the que with their support and they haven't been able to figure out the issue yet. They are noting a level of inquiries on the site. (Going from memory on that).
    This is a problem for me that has come up the last 3 days. Thought I would ask here if you think not running the latest version could be the issue or what's going for me is nothing to do with that.

Upgrading to 5.5.2 should certainly improve your situation. There has been over 1000 bug fixes, feature improvements, and performance benefits added to the software since 5.4.1. Newer versions take better advantage of newer server software as well.

However if you have entry level hosting, you could be on a server that is overloaded. Hosts stack many sites per server to offer these cheap plans and you have to share resources with every single one of them.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

What hosting plan are you on?

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

We are with Inmotion. been very unsatisfied with their customer service recently. The support ticket I sent in last Wed finally got a response today. They seem to "pass the buck onto vbulletin" for any issues. The chat person suggested it was due to higher traffic but we have had higher traffic in the past with no problem. They recorded lots of slow mySQL queries. We are going to update to the latest vbulletin and if that makes any difference

Comment

Make sure your server has at least PHP 7.1 (7.3 recommended) and MySQL 5.6.10 before you upgrade to the vB 5.5.2. The PHP and MySQL requirements have changed since vB 5.4.1.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

BTW, from the response it looks like they are blaming vbulletin. I have a tough time believing that because if that was the case all vbulletin users should be having issues. But I am cutting and pasting what they say for your comments. Here's what inmotion said

It does appear the latency you and you users are experiencing is not coming from the server, but the way the site is developed. Basically there are several instances where the coding of the site is taking 3 seconds or more to retrieve information from the database

Comment

Your host is correct in this case. Your version of vBulletin does not work at its best. In your version of vBulletin there are queries that take a long time to return data. Your version of vBulletin is considered out of data and obsolete. We are constantly updating and refactoring code to improve performance in different areas. Upgrading to 5.5.2 should alleviate many performance issues. Upgrading to 5.5.3 when it is released in a few weeks will further improve performance on most servers.

If your hosting provider doesn't meet the minimum requirements for vBulletin 5.5.X, then your site is an excellent candidate to move to vBulletin Cloud. There we handle all upgrades and server hardware to make sure your forum runs at its best.
              Last edited by Wayne Luke; Mon 24th Jun '19, 9:17am.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks Wayne. And I'll look into the cloud option too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X