Images disappearing in older threads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images disappearing in older threads

Ok so on several of my subforums, users have made posts that have images. After a few months if you go back to view the thread, the images are gone and there is what looks like a broken image small logo, almost looks like a ripped piece of paper.

Sorry for my lack of expertise in this area.

But how Do I get those images back and why are they self deleting? Thank you in advance.

Are they hosted elsewhere? Some public image hosting services like PhotoBucket went private and now charge for their hosting.

Comment

You would have to instruct your users to use the attachment features in the software and not the [img] tag to insert images from other locations.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

The images were Copy and Pasted and or dragged from other social media from what I am told

They did work for several weeks and upon inspection today they are gone, if this makes sense?

So are they gone for good Wayne Luke

Thank you both for the help fyi

Comment

In effect such images are hosted remotely on the site they are linked from. Known as hotlinking, and some sites frown upon it since it uses their bandwidth.

Obviously, since it's hosted on someone else's web server, if they take the image down or move it then it will no longer show in your forum.

Users should be encouraged to upload images as attachments, that way they are stored on your server, however even this is not without issue as it can be a breach of the image owner's copyright to do this.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X