Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark.hs
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback and explanation VB team, this is very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    As mentioned above (at least twice now in fact), trending topics can include threads last replied to in the past 4 to 96 hours. Therefore the fact that a thread has had no replies for 72 hours means absolutely nothing.

If you want recent posts then that is handled entirely differently, not with a trending topics module.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I told you how it works. My very first post in this topic outlines how it works using the comments directly from the relevant code. It looks at all topics that have had replies and comments between 4 and 96 hours and weights them on the number of posts received. If a topic is newer than 4 hours old, then we treat it as if it was 4 hours old because we are not trying to duplicate latest topics.

As far as I am aware view counts aren't taking into account. It is the number of replies in the lookback period. Views would allow easy gaming of the system.

Leave a comment:

• mark.hs
    replied
    Wayne, I only say it needs fixing because the first two topics listed in our Trending Topics list have not received a new post in 72 hours, and the topics have very low view counts compared to the other, newer topics. Perhaps if you could tell us how the IB Automotive Vertical algorithm works we could give you some feedback on what to improve. Maybe it's too simple of an approach, but I feel like the Trending list could simply be the topics with the most views and the most posts in the last XX hours. Seems like that would be acceptable to many and provide a more accurate "trending" topics report.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    We also shouldn't confuse trending with popular or latest. While there may be overlap, they aren't all the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    We don't take "Likes" into account at all as far as I can tell. There would need to be a JIRA created for each new item (field) that people want to be included in the weights and another JIRA to allow users to assign different priorities for each item.

So if you want likes to be counted, that would be a single issue. If you want followers to be counted, that would be a second issue. If you want static weights chosen from a list (i.e. choices like "replies, comments, likes" or "likes, replies, comments") that is an issue report. If you want to be able to have a percentage value for each criteria, that is another issue.

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by mark.hs View Post
    While it would be nice to have the options to control the trending criteria in AdminCP, as Omnibus has stated, I would ask the the VB dev team focus on fixing the current functionality first, so the page would at least show "typical" trending results.
    We don't see it as currently broken. "Typical" trending results doesn't provide anything we can take action on.

This is why we asked for feedback when the feature was introduced. We didn't receive anything that could be used to make changes or improve functionality at that time.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    You can already change the lookback and minimum time in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options.

However, determining the basic criteria of a "Trending" post is the gist of my question. As implemented it is simply a copy from Internet Brands' Automotive Vertical and what they use in their customized versions of vBulletin.
    Understood. I use that myself. But what about a site that might want likes to be more heavily weighted than replies or comments? Or replies to be weighted but not comments? Or replies but not comments or likes? It seems people might have different priorities for what should constitute trending topics. I haven't really found the best use for the module yet because everything that appears in trending also appears in latest topics or recent blogs or articles. But my site doesn't have the volume of activity of many other sites.

Leave a comment:

• mark.hs
    replied
    To me a topic is "trending" when it has the most views or posts over a set period of time. It's the same with YouTube, Twitter, etc. Basically it's the topic with the most "activity" which can be views, likes, comments, posts, etc.

While it would be nice to have the options to control the trending criteria in AdminCP, as Omnibus has stated, I would ask the the VB dev team focus on fixing the current functionality first, so the page would at least show "typical" trending results.

My 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can already change the lookback and minimum time in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options.

However, determining the basic criteria of a "Trending" post is the gist of my question. As implemented it is simply a copy from Internet Brands' Automotive Vertical and what they use in their customized versions of vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• In Omnibus
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    I think the question here is "What are you expecting to see with Trending Topics?"
    The obvious answer would be the topics with the most replies, comments, and views in the last x hours but what if we created an improvement request to allow administrators to select the criteria by which Trending Topics is weighted? That might allow different sites to use the module in a manner best suited to their purposes.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I think the question here is "What are you expecting to see with Trending Topics?"

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by mark.hs View Post
    Yes, I see the same thing. I know those topics very well, and I would not consider most of them "trending" or popular. I honestly cannot find the logic of why these topics are showing. Some have not had a new post in 3 days. The list just doesn't look right.
    As Wayne said, it's not a recent posts module. Among other things it is looking for topics with replies in the past 4-96 hours. So up to four days. This is entirely correct.

Leave a comment:

• mark.hs
    replied
    Yes, I see the same thing. I know those topics very well, and I would not consider most of them "trending" or popular. I honestly cannot find the logic of why these topics are showing. Some have not had a new post in 3 days. The list just doesn't look right.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Trending Topics are built via a Scheduled Task in the Task Manager. It is supposed to update the list on 50 minutes in every hour.

Trending topics are ordered by their trending weight. They are not ordered by date.

This is what I see on the Hobby Squawk site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-04_19-51-04.png
Views:	46
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	4416463

Leave a comment: