No announcement yet.

Trending Topics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also shouldn't confuse trending with popular or latest. While there may be overlap, they aren't all the same thing.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Wayne, I only say it needs fixing because the first two topics listed in our Trending Topics list have not received a new post in 72 hours, and the topics have very low view counts compared to the other, newer topics. Perhaps if you could tell us how the IB Automotive Vertical algorithm works we could give you some feedback on what to improve. Maybe it's too simple of an approach, but I feel like the Trending list could simply be the topics with the most views and the most posts in the last XX hours. Seems like that would be acceptable to many and provide a more accurate "trending" topics report.
      Admin for hobbysquawk.com
      VB 5.5.4.1
      PHP 7.3.10
      Maria DB 10.2.27

Comment

I told you how it works. My very first post in this topic outlines how it works using the comments directly from the relevant code. It looks at all topics that have had replies and comments between 4 and 96 hours and weights them on the number of posts received. If a topic is newer than 4 hours old, then we treat it as if it was 4 hours old because we are not trying to duplicate latest topics.

As far as I am aware view counts aren't taking into account. It is the number of replies in the lookback period. Views would allow easy gaming of the system.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

As mentioned above (at least twice now in fact), trending topics can include threads last replied to in the past 4 to 96 hours. Therefore the fact that a thread has had no replies for 72 hours means absolutely nothing.

If you want recent posts then that is handled entirely differently, not with a trending topics module.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and explanation VB team, this is very helpful.
            Admin for hobbysquawk.com
            VB 5.5.4.1
            PHP 7.3.10
            Maria DB 10.2.27

Comment