Trending Topics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trending Topics

How does vBulletin determine if a topic is trending?
    Admin for hobbysquawk.com
    VB 5.5.4.1
    PHP 7.3.10
    Maria DB 10.2.27

With the default settings, Trending topics are those topics with new content in the last 4-96 hours. The more replies they received over the last 96 hours, the higher their weight. They are ordered by descending weights.

Code:
         *  The weight is calculated as "posts/hour" with a couple of twists.
         *  First we consider the timespan we're looking at to be either the lookback period
         *  OR the lifetime of the topic whichever is shorter (this gives a boost to recent
         *  topics that haven't had as much time to gather large numbers of posts).
         *  Second we set a minimum for the timespan (based on configuration passed to us)
         *  This prevents a new topic from getting elevated simply because it's new and
         *  thus a couple of posts turns into an ungodly number of posts/hour. We already
         *  have a recent topics feature, this is intended to show topics with some momentum.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I tried adding Trending module on my site and it showed up old posts (1 1/2 years ago) that don't have recent replies. Some have even no replies at all.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Is the scheduled task to populate them being run properly?

Wayne Luke

Comment

That seems to fix it...But the results still seem a bit questionable. I'll give it a few days and observe.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Glenn Vergara I am seeing the exact same thing, the trending page shows old topics some with little or no replies. However, when you click "View All" (at the bottom) and then sort by Descending it seems to pull up a more accurate list of trending topics with the most replies at the top.

Any ideas how we can get the list to actually show true trending topics on page load?
            https://www.hobbysquawk.com/Trending

VB 5.5.4.1
            PHP 7.3.10
            Maria DB 10.2.27

Comment

Trending Topics are built via a Scheduled Task in the Task Manager. It is supposed to update the list on 50 minutes in every hour.

Trending topics are ordered by their trending weight. They are not ordered by date.

This is what I see on the Hobby Squawk site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-04_19-51-04.png
Views:	44
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	4416463

Wayne Luke

Comment

Yes, I see the same thing. I know those topics very well, and I would not consider most of them "trending" or popular. I honestly cannot find the logic of why these topics are showing. Some have not had a new post in 3 days. The list just doesn't look right.
                VB 5.5.4.1
                PHP 7.3.10
                Maria DB 10.2.27

Comment

Originally posted by mark.hs View Post
                  Yes, I see the same thing. I know those topics very well, and I would not consider most of them "trending" or popular. I honestly cannot find the logic of why these topics are showing. Some have not had a new post in 3 days. The list just doesn't look right.
                  As Wayne said, it's not a recent posts module. Among other things it is looking for topics with replies in the past 4-96 hours. So up to four days. This is entirely correct.
                  MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
                  AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I think the question here is "What are you expecting to see with Trending Topics?"

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      I think the question here is "What are you expecting to see with Trending Topics?"
                      The obvious answer would be the topics with the most replies, comments, and views in the last x hours but what if we created an improvement request to allow administrators to select the criteria by which Trending Topics is weighted? That might allow different sites to use the module in a manner best suited to their purposes.

Comment

You can already change the lookback and minimum time in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options.

However, determining the basic criteria of a "Trending" post is the gist of my question. As implemented it is simply a copy from Internet Brands' Automotive Vertical and what they use in their customized versions of vBulletin.

Wayne Luke

Comment

To me a topic is "trending" when it has the most views or posts over a set period of time. It's the same with YouTube, Twitter, etc. Basically it's the topic with the most "activity" which can be views, likes, comments, posts, etc.

While it would be nice to have the options to control the trending criteria in AdminCP, as Omnibus has stated, I would ask the the VB dev team focus on fixing the current functionality first, so the page would at least show "typical" trending results.

My 2 cents.
                          VB 5.5.4.1
                          PHP 7.3.10
                          Maria DB 10.2.27

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                            You can already change the lookback and minimum time in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Message Searching Options.

However, determining the basic criteria of a "Trending" post is the gist of my question. As implemented it is simply a copy from Internet Brands' Automotive Vertical and what they use in their customized versions of vBulletin.
                            Understood. I use that myself. But what about a site that might want likes to be more heavily weighted than replies or comments? Or replies to be weighted but not comments? Or replies but not comments or likes? It seems people might have different priorities for what should constitute trending topics. I haven't really found the best use for the module yet because everything that appears in trending also appears in latest topics or recent blogs or articles. But my site doesn't have the volume of activity of many other sites.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              Wayne Luke commented
                              Editing a comment
                              We don't take "Likes" into account at all as far as I can tell. There would need to be a JIRA created for each new item (field) that people want to be included in the weights and another JIRA to allow users to assign different priorities for each item.

So if you want likes to be counted, that would be a single issue. If you want followers to be counted, that would be a second issue. If you want static weights chosen from a list (i.e. choices like "replies, comments, likes" or "likes, replies, comments") that is an issue report. If you want to be able to have a percentage value for each criteria, that is another issue.

Originally posted by mark.hs View Post
                            While it would be nice to have the options to control the trending criteria in AdminCP, as Omnibus has stated, I would ask the the VB dev team focus on fixing the current functionality first, so the page would at least show "typical" trending results.
                            We don't see it as currently broken. "Typical" trending results doesn't provide anything we can take action on.

This is why we asked for feedback when the feature was introduced. We didn't receive anything that could be used to make changes or improve functionality at that time.

Wayne Luke

Comment