Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The value of total reputation is not passed to the template that displays the user information. Instead it uses a "Reputation Level" which is based on the settings in the User Reputation Manager in the AdminCP. You may be able to do something like {vb:var userInfo.reputation} in the conversation_userinfo template. I haven't tested it and the value may not be exposed in the $userInfo array. This display mechanism is similar to how reputation worked in previous versions.

Reputation Power is actually broken in the system. There is an option to control this but it is not operational because there is no code in the templates that reference it.
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 29 Jan '21, 10:27am.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by 720 View Post
    As mentioned above, I removed the pips altogether with the code provided by Carrfixr , and set up user ranks that were partly set manually, partly based on rep.

However, what I'd like is something like the third-party module I used with vB4, but which doesn't work anymore - you could set it so that only likes on specific topics (e.g. serious articles, not jokes) gave a boost in rep. Additionally something like what Wayne Luke says in post #8.
    I use this old thread since my new question is related: Is it possible to display the raw reputation number instead of the pips in the postbit? Alternatively, to display the reputation-altering power?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Rosely
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, I'll pass this on.

• OrganForum
    replied
    Here is the query I ran
    Code:
    UPDATE vb_reputation SET reputation = LEAST(2,reputation)
    This resets each and every entry in the reputation table to a maximum of 2 points. After running the query, you'll need to run the reputation rebuild in General Update. The maximum value of 2 was determined empirically for my site by running the query with decreasing values (I started with 10 to be safe) until most reputations fell within the range of the meter. Note that even after the adjustment, the reputation of power users still far exceeds the range of the meter, so your goal should not be to attempt to get every user in range as it might not be possible to do so.

You should take the Forum offline when running this query, first backing up the existing table. There is always a risk involved in running queries against a production database and its best to use a development site while experimenting. Regardless, if you run this query, you do so ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Leave a comment:

• Rosely
    replied
    Originally posted by OrganForum View Post
    The first thing I did was to run a query on the reputation table that reduced the amount of reputation given for each instance to a maximum. In my case I limited this value to two reputation points. After running the query it was necessary to rebuild the user reputations using AdminCP->Maintenance->General Update Tools.

This cancelled out the obscenely large amount of reputation given for each Like as result of distorted reputation power and moved the accumulated reputation for most of my user's to within the range of the meter.
    OrganForum I have been trying to run through the process you suggest with our tech admin but we aren't sure what you mean by running a query on the reputation table. I've changed the User Reputation Options and I know where the reputation rebuild function is in the General Update Tools, but we aren't sure what the query is that will reduce the historical reputation given to bring down the distorted reputations. Can you describe where and what this functions is more?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    I don't have a full list. You lose access to change server settings, database access, attachment storage settings, and editing non-text templates.

• Rosely
    commented on 's reply
    Okay, thank you. Wayne Luke is there anywhere that summarises what Admin CP settings/tools we will lose access to by changing to Cloud?
    Last edited by Rosely; Sat 12 Dec '20, 3:16am.

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    You would have to do so before you migrate. You will not be able to run queries directly against the database on vBulletin Cloud.

• Rosely
    commented on 's reply
    So would the option to run the query to reduce the reputation already received and rebuild the rep as suggested by OrganForum in #17 need to be done before we migrated to cloud, or could we be helped do that after migration? I assume we'd still be able to alter the majority of the Admin CP settings to individualise the site?
    Last edited by Rosely; Fri 11 Dec '20, 6:57am.

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    The tools would not be available anymore. There is really no reason to run them on a regular basis anyway. Other permissions are for the security of the server.

The software allows administrators to do very "bad things" to their sites if they choose. The governing principle is that is allowed. If someone wants to break their own site, then let them. In general it is more trouble than it is worth to prevent this since download customers have access to the source code. With vBulletin Cloud, we have to maintain the integrity of the servers and all cloud sites (they all use the same files but different databases). Due to this access is restricted in some places.

• Rosely
    commented on 's reply
    In the sense that we would have to reassign such permissions or we wouldn't be able to run such queries/certain maintenance tools ourselves any more?

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosely View Post
    The query function isn't something I can access though. The site admin has asked to see what line in which PHP file they will need to add my usernumber to change that? Is this something possible to change Wayne Luke ? Also, we're likely to migrate to the Cloud hosting soon, will these kinds of changes be lost in the transfer?
    You need the "Can Use All Maintenance Tools" permission under Usergroups -> Administrator Permissions.

The data will not be lost. However, administrator permissions will be lost if you move to cloud. The one above is one of the permissions that will be lost.

Leave a comment:

• Rosely
    replied
    Originally posted by OrganForum View Post
    Reputation power is dynamically affected by the AdminCP->.Options->User Reputation Options. A user's reputation is the sum of the reputation given to that user. That data is in the reputation table. So, in order to restore a semblance of functionality to the meter, you must alter both.

The first thing I did was to run a query on the reputation table that reduced the amount of reputation given for each instance to a maximum. In my case I limited this value to two reputation points. After running the query it was necessary to rebuild the user reputations using AdminCP->Maintenance->General Update Tools.

This cancelled out the obscenely large amount of reputation given for each Like as result of distorted reputation power and moved the accumulated reputation for most of my user's to within the range of the meter. This reduction in reputation had the side effect of reducing the reputation power for each user, as a user's reputation affects his reputation power. I made additional changes to the User Reputation Options settings to further reduce reputation power. In my case, my goal was to reduce the current maximum reputation power of any user to a value of 5 points or less. I increased the various factors empirically to achieve this goal.

While it is necessary to alter the values in the reputation table to correct for past excesses, it is not necessary to do so to prevent this from continuing to happen. You just need to adjust those Reputation Options to lower the reputation power of all users.
    I have looked at this and done the adjustments suggested to the Reputation Options, but I do need to pull down the reputation numbers from what has been given historically. I assume this is what the query on the reputation table and rebuild through the maintenance will do.

The query function isn't something I can access though. The site admin has asked to see what line in which PHP file they will need to add my usernumber to change that? Is this something possible to change Wayne Luke ? Also, we're likely to migrate to the Cloud hosting soon, will these kinds of changes be lost in the transfer?

Leave a comment:

• OrganForum
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. See the code Wayne posted in #18

• Rosely
    commented on 's reply
    That's interesting OrganForum, so they are effectively recalculated automatically?