Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade

I have two vbulletin licenses. One for VB4 Suite and one for VB5. I have both running vb4. My main site I am considering upgrading to VB5.

I don’t have any mods but I have banner ads, and side block ads. (Not google ads). I also have a estAblished blog.

Would I have any issues upgrading? Would I lose anything?
    I am just trying to figure out if it would be a very easy and seamless upgrade before I attempt it.

thanks

Ads are done differently in vBulletin 5. These would have to be reconfigured after the upgrade. The only content that won't migrate at this time is Events in the vBulletin 4 Calendar.

I suggest running a test upgrade on a copy of your database. If you have command line access, this is generally the quicker way to run an upgrade.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks Wayne. Do you have instructions in doing the upgrade completely with using command line? Luckily I don't have any events in the calendar!
      Also, would it automatically point everything correctly, as far as links, attachments, etc? I have my attachments and avatars stored off the main directory.

Thanks for all the great support!

Comment

If your attachment directory exists within your public_html, then you will want to make sure your attachment and avatar directories is copied to the vBulletin 5 directory. If it is above public_html and you're using ABSOLUTE paths to the directories, you don't have to change them. The system will maintain links to them during upgrades. It will create 301 redirects for all your standard vBulletin 4 URLs in order to redirect them to the new URLs used by vBulletin 5.

To upgrade from the command line -
        1. Upload the vBulletin files to your directory.
        2. Rename /config.php.bkp to /config.php
        3. Rename /htaccess.txt to /.htaccess
        4. Rename /core/includes/config.php.new to /core/includes/config.php
        5. Edit /core/includes/config.php to provide the database values for your database.
        6. Switch directories to /core/install
        7. Start the install with the command - php upgrade.php
        When the script completes, delete or rename the /core/install directory.

Since you're on the command line, it won't ask for your Customer ID.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Awesome! You are the best! Yes the directories are above public_html, which I believe is the most secure way. Thank you! I will give this a shot and let ya know how I make out! Appreciate you!

Comment