Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Config.php settings for using WinCache on IIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr B
    replied
    The FastCGI and WinCache settings is now implemented so i dont think i need more help about this right now. Thanks for the support Wayne Luke !

Leave a comment:

• Mr B
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Basically everything related to content display is in it... Every query, every page layout, every route, There are three levels...

- Everything needed for the current page view. We shove this into memory so it is accessible.
    - Everything that is needed for the current login session;
    - Everything that is needed for the site.

It is a behind the scenes thing and all data is serialized. It enables us to pull large amounts of data without running multiple queries.

The Datastore is similar. It stores all the settings, permissions, phrases, and site options so we can pull them in a single query even though they are stored in numerous multiple databases.
    Thumbs up! It sounds like we can expect a little better performance when enabling the datastore cache which is currently disabled.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Basically everything related to content display is in it... Every query, every page layout, every route, There are three levels...

- Everything needed for the current page view. We shove this into memory so it is accessible.
    - Everything that is needed for the current login session;
    - Everything that is needed for the site.

It is a behind the scenes thing and all data is serialized. It enables us to pull large amounts of data without running multiple queries.

The Datastore is similar. It stores all the settings, permissions, phrases, and site options so we can pull them in a single query even though they are stored in numerous multiple databases.

Leave a comment:

• Mr B
    replied
    The Cache Classes (0,1,2) are for database caching. We do not support the use of WinCache with these caches. Since you're not using Memcached, you should not change these lines. They should remain exactly as they are. Changing them will prevent your site from working.
    Thanks for the clarification! Maybe i will look into memcache later but it depends on the performance after wincache for datastore is implemented.

Where can i read more about the datastore cache? Whats included in it etc. Im rather new in the cacheing things.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The Cache Classes (0,1,2) are for database caching. We do not support the use of WinCache with these caches. Since you're not using Memcached, you should not change these lines. They should remain exactly as they are. Changing them will prevent your site from working.

Leave a comment:

• Mr B
    replied
    The only line you should change is the line I said to add. No other lines should be changed or altered. You should never disable caching on vBulletin 5. If you do, you'll have performance issues.
    No, i dont want to disable caching. But i do not understand the 3 [0][1][2] cache lines i the default config.php file.

I will try out your solution as soon as i get the testvb up and running.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The only line you should change is the line I said to add. No other lines should be changed or altered. You should never disable caching on vBulletin 5. If you do, you'll have performance issues.

Leave a comment:

• Mr B
    replied
    You can only use WinCache for the datastore cache. You can't use it for the cache and cacheevent tables in vBulletin 5.

Add this line to your /core/includes/config.php file:

Code:
    $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_WinCache';
    More information about datastore caching is in the /core/includes/config.php file with this code:
    Code:
    // ****** DATASTORE CACHE CONFIGURATION *****
    // Here you can configure different methods for caching datastore items.
    // You may need to clear this cache after installing/upgrading. You can do this either
    // in the control panel (Maintenance) or by restarting the web server.
    // vB_Datastore_Filecache - to use includes/datastore/datastore_cache.php
    // vB_Datastore_APC - to use APC
    // vB_Datastore_XCache - to use XCache
    // vB_Datastore_WinCache - to use WinCache
    // vB_Datastore_Memcached - to use a Memcache server, more configuration below
    // $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Filecache';
    //if you use Filecache you can accept the default location, or better
    // to uncomment the next line and set a location
    // $config['Misc']['datastorepath'] = '/valid/writeable/for/my/webserver';
    // or if you have set $config['Cache']['fileCachePath' above you can do nothing and
    // it will use that location.

// ******** DATASTORE PREFIX ******
    // If you are using a PHP Caching system (APC, XCache, WinCache) with more
    // than one set of forums installed on your host, you *may* need to use a prefix
    // so that they do not try to use the same variable within the cache.
    // This works in a similar manner to the database table prefix.
    // $config['Datastore']['prefix'] = '';

// It is also necessary to specify the hostname or IP address and the port the server is listening on
    /*
    $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Memcached';
    $i = 0;
    // First Server
    $i++;
    $config['Misc']['memcacheserver'][$i] = '127.0.0.1';
    $config['Misc']['memcacheport'][$i] = 11211;
    $config['Misc']['memcachepersistent'][$i] = true;
    $config['Misc']['memcacheweight'][$i] = 1;
    $config['Misc']['memcachetimeout'][$i] = 1;
    $config['Misc']['memcacheretry_interval'][$i] = 15;
    */
    //If you are using Memcache you should can set a prefix. This is needed only if the memcache server is shared. If dedicated you don't need it.
    $config['Cache']['memcacheprefix'] = '';
    Memcached is the recommended method but can be difficult to implement on Windows machines. I don't know if WinCache has been tested recently. It is difficult for us to get access to Windows based test servers.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I will try out wincache for the datastore in the testvb if i get it up and running tomorrow.

How about the other cache settings in config.php? I see that it is 3 entries for one setting in the config.php.new. Should all three be enabled? Or only one? I dont completly understamd the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can only use WinCache for the datastore cache. You can't use it for the cache and cacheevent tables in vBulletin 5.

Add this line to your /core/includes/config.php file:

Code:
    $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_WinCache';
    More information about datastore caching is in the /core/includes/config.php file with this code:
    Code:
    // ****** DATASTORE CACHE CONFIGURATION *****
    // Here you can configure different methods for caching datastore items.
    // You may need to clear this cache after installing/upgrading. You can do this either
    // in the control panel (Maintenance) or by restarting the web server.
    // vB_Datastore_Filecache  - to use includes/datastore/datastore_cache.php
    // vB_Datastore_APC - to use APC
    // vB_Datastore_XCache - to use XCache
    // vB_Datastore_WinCache - to use WinCache
    // vB_Datastore_Memcached - to use a Memcache server, more configuration below
    // $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Filecache';
    //if you use Filecache you can accept the default location, or better
    // to uncomment the next line and set a location
    // $config['Misc']['datastorepath'] = '/valid/writeable/for/my/webserver';
    // or if you have set $config['Cache']['fileCachePath' above you can do nothing and
    // it will use that location.

// ******** DATASTORE PREFIX ******
        // If you are using a PHP Caching system (APC, XCache, WinCache) with more
        // than one set of forums installed on your host, you *may* need to use a prefix
        // so that they do not try to use the same variable within the cache.
        // This works in a similar manner to the database table prefix.
    // $config['Datastore']['prefix'] = '';

// It is also necessary to specify the hostname or IP address and the port the server is listening on
    /*
    $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Memcached';
    $i = 0;
    // First Server
    $i++;
    $config['Misc']['memcacheserver'][$i]        = '127.0.0.1';
    $config['Misc']['memcacheport'][$i]            = 11211;
    $config['Misc']['memcachepersistent'][$i]    = true;
    $config['Misc']['memcacheweight'][$i]        = 1;
    $config['Misc']['memcachetimeout'][$i]        = 1;
    $config['Misc']['memcacheretry_interval'][$i] = 15;
    */
    //If you are using Memcache you should can set a prefix. This is needed only if the memcache server is shared. If dedicated you don't need it.
    $config['Cache']['memcacheprefix'] = '';
    Memcached is the recommended method but can be difficult to implement on Windows machines. I don't know if WinCache has been tested recently. It is difficult for us to get access to Windows based test servers.

Leave a comment:

• Mr B
    started a topic Config.php settings for using WinCache on IIS?

Config.php settings for using WinCache on IIS?

Our vBulletin 5.4.4 is running on IIS 10 with WinCache enabled on the server.

Anyone knows the correct Config.php settings for using WinCache? I have searched the forums and also looked in the manual but i dont know how all settings should be configured. Please help