vbcache- in HTML5 web storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vbcache- in HTML5 web storage

I'm currently updating our privacy policy to conform to all the latest laws (GDPR, obviously). Since we're running vB 5, I have to include some info on what type of data vB stores where and why.

With vBulletin's use of web storage (or local storage), though, I've run into some trouble. Apparently, vB uses local storage as a cache. In my browser I found a field called 'vbcache-' that contains a ton of data. Since its too much to work through myself, I'm hoping to get some help from the devs with the following questions:
    • Does vB cache any personal data (user id, IP address or whatever) in local storage?
    • If yes, does it transmit any of that data back to the server at any time?
    • Does vbcache- ever get deleted?
    Thanks,
    Moritz

All of what is classified as "personal data" by the GDPR is stored in the database. Cache is simply a readily accessible copy of frequently accessed data which speeds up page loading and other functions. Cache can be cleared any number of ways. That does not remove the data from the database. For the purposes of the GDPR you don't need to be that detailed. All you need to do is to explain what is data is collected and for what purpose, only use the data for the purpose(s) listed, and indicate whether the data will be deleted or not upon request. Data which is necessary for historical records is not required to be deleted even upon request.

Comment

Local Storage is used primarily to store timestamps (which change every page load), site options, and frequently used phrases for the Javascript to reduce loading times.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

What Wayne said. Here are excerpt of what data are stored on local storage. No personal data included.

Click image for larger version

Name:	localstorage.png
Views:	16
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	4398924

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X