Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of Queued E-Mails > 0, what does that mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Queued E-Mails > 0, what does that mean?

I assume it means some emails are in the queue waiting to be sent. How often does that happen?

After some further investigation, I see that there is a scheduled task that is supposed to run every 10 minutes to send out the email queue. For some reason, it did not run at the last scheduled time and there were a few emails stuck in there. I ran it manually from Admin CP Scheduled Tasks. I wonder why the cron job would get skipped....

Comment

The scheduled task runs if someone visits the site, if nobody does then it won't run.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Does that include me, the admin, visiting it? Would I actually have to do some action? This is a very small site, just introduced to a small community, not a lot of activity yet.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenKay View Post
          Does that include me, the admin, visiting it? Would I actually have to do some action? This is a very small site, just introduced to a small community, not a lot of activity yet.
          Anybody, anything, even a guest just viewing the page. Any activity triggers it.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Unless your hosting provider is limiting your emails per hour, you should turn off the email queue. Settings -> Options -> Email Options. User Cron Based Sending should be set to No. If you are using an external SMTP server, you should definitely turn this off in order to obtain the best results.

You can also offload the Scheduled Tasks to your Crontab system using the vbcron.php file in your do_not_upload folder. Doing this frees the Scheduled Task system from the visitor requirement. The instructions on how to set it up are in the header of the file.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Thanks, my hosting provider does limit emails, 400 per hour which I'm unlikely to hit anytime soon, so maybe I should consider that. However, now that I have a better understanding of the queue I'll just watch and see if I have any more issues....

Comment