Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any option for member's of my VB5 site to opt-out of being displayed in the member list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any option for member's of my VB5 site to opt-out of being displayed in the member list?

Is there any option for member's of my VB5 site to opt-out of being displayed in the member list? In User Settings, there's an invisible mode for Who's Online, but I don't see anything for the member list...

That would defeat the purpose of having a members list.

Comment

Why do you say that? Someone might not want their personal information displayed. Imagine a private community website where Full Real Names are used, and address information may be part of what's displayed to other members. I can imagine a case where someone might not be comfortable with that...while others may be perfectly fine with it.

Comment

There are options to make user profile fields private. There are options to determine what usergroups can view private fields. That's not the same thing as appearing on the member list. No one should be using their personal identifying information on a forum unless they are willing to give up their right to privacy. My suggestion would be to find another manner of identification. Not all search engines respect privacy so if you're putting private information on the internet you're risking it becoming public. The entire reason for the GDPR is because personal data is easily stolen from sites far more secure than internet forums. All of that not withstanding the point of forums is to create a social environment, not a safe space.

Comment

Yes, I can make all fields private. Defeats the purpose of a "general List". But I don't see what's wrong with allowing a member to choose not to be in that list, while most of the others are fine with it.

Your position is a philosophical one, and not an answer to my question. You don't like my idea that this should be a feature. But it should. I guess it doesn't exist.

With all the conversation these days about privacy and opting out of sharing information, one should be able to opt out of appearing in the members list.

Comment

There is no means to do this in vBulletin.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.2 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by StephenKay View Post
              Yes, I can make all fields private. Defeats the purpose of a "general List". But I don't see what's wrong with allowing a member to choose not to be in that list, while most of the others are fine with it.

Your position is a philosophical one, and not an answer to my question. You don't like my idea that this should be a feature. But it should. I guess it doesn't exist.

With all the conversation these days about privacy and opting out of sharing information, one should be able to opt out of appearing in the members list.
              It is an answer. Forums are not designed to do this. There are solutions designed to do what you want but they aren't built around the concept of connecting people with shared interests which is precisely what forums are. It's impossible to connect with people you don't know are there.

Comment

There is an open issue to restore this setting - https://tracker.vbulletin.com/vbulle...sues/VBV-10641

At this time, there is no eta for resolution.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks for that info! So there was originally a setting to do that, which was "temporarily removed". Makes total sense that it would be an available option... anyway, I added my vote to it. 17 votes, I don't know if that is a lot...

Comment

There was a setting in vBulletin 4. It never carried over to vBulletin 5.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment