Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does large forum have slow page load speeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ry1234
    replied
    I only gave the static HTML comparison to indicate that it wasn't happening with all pages. It only seems to happen with DB heavy pages.

I gave the server specs/setup just in case that info was needed to solve my issue.

But yeah, it seems that my DB heavy pages of a large forum are taking 1-2 seconds to load. You think that's fast? I thought that was pretty slow for a web page.

Is there anyway to speed it up? Or analyze what's causing it to be slow?

Would a much smaller forum be faster?

Is vBulletin know to get slow when the forum/database gets big?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You can't compare static html to dynamic pages. Your forum pages have to get data from the database, sort it, combine it with HTML and language phrases to build the pages, and then output it to your browser. However, if your pages are loading in a second, that is still pretty fast.

I should add that the total amount of RAM on the box is pretty much irrelevant for a single page load. Your server configuration will limit the amount of memory each PHP instance can use. Most limit them to 256 megabytes. That is what a single page load can use. Once the page is loaded then the memory is released back to the pool of memory.

Leave a comment:

• ry1234
    started a topic Why does large forum have slow page load speeds?

Why does large forum have slow page load speeds?

I have a 5.4 forum with these stats:

Topics: 195,223 Posts: 1,034,594 Members: 356,471 Active Members: 10,870

I think there are about 100-200 main forums and the same amount of sub forums.

The forum has its own dedicated box with I think 16GB of ram.

---

The problem is, each page that lists forums or topics takes about 1 second to load. I made some static HTML pages and they load significantly faster.

Is it because the database is big?