Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glennrocksvb
    replied
    This requires a custom mod. I have a kind of similar mod where configured words or phrases get linked automatically to the designated URL. In your case, the word will just need to be automatically inserted in an HTML tag (if not already) and add a title attribute to it so that the browser will display a tooltip when you hover it.

Leave a comment:

• mrwhitee
    replied
    Thanks, but I guess thats not what I was looking for. I wanted it to be automatic when someone types a term in a post that it gets defined. Its probably a 3rd party mod if available.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You actually have to type the definition into the code when you use it in a post.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_28.png
Views:	46
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	4384988

So once the bbcode is defined you would use Amazon

Leave a comment:

• mrwhitee
    replied
    Cool! .... I cant seem to get this to work and Ive tried a million ways and no effect on the words in a post.. Can you post a screen shot of exactly what it should look like in the BBC manager with Amazon as the word being defined or any word is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The HTML Tag that does this is the DFN tag. You can accomplish this in vBulletin by adding a BBCode. In the AdminCP go to Custome BB Codes -> Add New BB Code.

Name: DFN
    tag: dfn
    replacement: <dfn title="{option}">{parameter}</dfn>
    example: term
    use option: Yes.

Customize the look of the tag with CSS. By default, it will be italicized.

You can also accomplish similar using the Replacement Variable tools in Styles. However, these are global and will replace every instance of the word on the page. So if you set up:

Amazon to be replaced with <dfn title="One of the world's largest online shopping sites">Amazon</dfn>

It will replace every instance. This includes usernames, links (it will break links), channel titles, etc..

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Sounds like a third party add-on of some sort. There's nothing in the default software that would do this.

Leave a comment:

• mrwhitee
    started a topic hover definition

hover definition

I dont know what the name of the function is but I see on many other forums where certain words will show a definition when the mouse hovers over it. how is this done in Vbulletin5?