Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbulletin 5.3.4 - Hide Admin

Afternoon,

I have read forum posts, internet articles, and the manual. I am unable to hide (make invisible) the admin account. It's a fresh install and I think a fresh conversation on how to achieve this for new users would be great.

Thanks!

There is no way to hide users from the Member's List module.

To be invisible on the "Online Member's Module", you can set yourself to invisible on the Settings / Account page. To get to this page, click on your username in the top right corner and choose User Settings. On the Settings page select Account tab. The option will be listed in a default installation.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Wayne Luke Appreciate the information. I have arrived at the setting (Invisible Mode -Enable invisible mode) however my admin username is still in the member's list when viewing the forum as a non-registered user or registered user on another browser.

Comment

Originally posted by techtech3d View Post
        Wayne Luke Appreciate the information. I have arrived at the setting (Invisible Mode -Enable invisible mode) however my admin username is still in the member's list when viewing the forum as a non-registered user or registered user on another browser.
        As Wayne said:

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        There is no way to hide users from the Member's List module.
        Going invisible hides you from the Who's Online list (and page), not the Members List page. It simply disguises the fact that you are online, not the fact that you exist.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Mark.B Yes, I would like the admin invisible on the forum. Invisible from "who's online" "member's list" and any other location possible from public eyes

Comment

That isn't possible. You will need custom coding.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Wayne Luke Thanks for the updates. Is there a security issue to have an admin username in plain sight?

Comment

Wayne Luke Thanks for the updates. Is there a security issue to have an admin username in plain sight?
                No. What makes you think it would be? It's just a username like any other.

Comment

Mark.B I would assume a person could use the admin username and brute force or table a password to enter as an admin?

Comment

Mark.B I would assume a person could use the admin username and brute force or table a password to enter as an admin?
                    Not easily no, for a variety of reasons. For starters you've got the login strikes system. Also even setting that aside they can bruteforce the name just as easily.

This simply isn't a valid security concern. Security by obscurity is no security at all. Might as well go the whole way and hide the entire website from the internet so nobody ever tries to hack it. There are quite literally millions of forums across the internet, add to that blogs and other discussion sites. I've never come across a single one that hides the admin account. If it was a valid security concern then firstly plenty of people would do this and secondly the various software companies would write it into the software. You haven't hit on some undiscovered security flaw that nobody had thought of, it just isn't valid, sorry.

Comment

Mark.B just asking a question from a user of the software.

Comment

A long time ago, we changed the password hashing scheme so that it is less susceptible to brute-force attacks. This is in addition to the login strike system that is enabled by default.

The best way to keep your site secure is to use HTTPS and the tools already provided. If you're worried about security, you should look into two-factor authentication for your Admin Users. You can also restrict access by IP address in the /core/includes/config.php file. You can even restrict logins to email address only and this applies to all users. So the username won't give out any information for logging in. Finally, there are Admin Permissions that you can use to control who has access to what.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X