Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tile 1st gen child sub categories horizontally instead of “the default” vertically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Doing this would require changing the templates. vBulletin 5 uses tables to display this information since it is tabular data. I suggest looking at the templates and how it is done for mobile devices.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Rahman
    replied
    we are not asking you to change it , we are soliciting for a start up code like since display_Forums_list

{vb:set subChannelsPerRow, 3} will decide on the number of sub-forums per row , so what is similar to that for sub-categories ??

Just a hint will do

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Changing this is outside the scope of our support.

You will need to seek third party assistance.... https://vbmods.rocks is one place to start, run by a former vB5 developer.

Leave a comment:

• Anton Rahman
    replied

here is an example in the very first 6 lines of display_Forums_list

{vb:set subChannelsPerRow, 3}

and that's why the default sub forums layout will always wrap around into 3 per line !

so how can we apply the same for sub categories ? i.e one step above in the hierarchy descending from --forum

Leave a comment:

• Anton Rahman
    replied
    Any links to that mod ?

although we can see that the horizontal wrapping of SUB FORUMS on the main page is so similar to what we need to do , only that we need to apply it on the SUB CATEGORIES , which is the level right above the SUB FORUMS and right below the MAIN PARENT CATEGORIES " those nested directly under --forum

so actually a similar code does exist in display templates but it's handling only the SUB FORUMS not the SUB CATEGORIES

Any help from someone with more superior knowledge ? :-D

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    This has never been a function built into vBulletin. I believe there is a 5.X add-on to do this at vBulletin.org.

Leave a comment:

• How to tile 1st gen child sub categories horizontally instead of “the default” vertically

As you can see in the image, this is how vBulletin 5 default style handles the following channel layout :
    Parent category nested -of course- under [forum] ---- > 1st generation child category "no post i.e acting as a 2nd category under the parent category"
    ------ > 2nd generation child, a CHANNEL this time " i.e where user may post"
    By default, vBulletin 5 default theme will implement the following -sometimes undesirable- formatting:
    It will tile VERTICALLY aaaalll the 1st generation child categories !!
    While in forums that may have relatively a bit too many 1st GENERATION CHILD CATEGORIES nested under a bit too many PARENT CATEGORIES; the result is an un appealing loooooong page that is stacked up sooo sooo vertically in a very un professional way !!
    This certainly calls for a direct to the point functionality that gives users the choice of TILE VERTICALLY or otherwise TILE HORIZONTALLY
    If we didn’t miss something , this function doesn't yet seem to be available in admincp
    So meanwhile until the authorized vBulletin geeks in the vBulletin team will consider adding this functionality !.
    We are left again soliciting any ideas , specifically codes for css_additional .css
    Or a hook modification ?
    S.O.S
    Attached Files