Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn Events on for Admins only

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Turn Events on for Admins only

    I really want to experiment with the Event system, but I don't want my users to see it or a link to it while I am working on it. I don't mind if Administrators can see it. Is there a way to turn it on, and create a tab/link to it that only Admins can see?

  • #2
    Use the channel permissions, under the 'Forum' channel, edit all usergroups except admin, and under the create permissions, deny the permission to create new events.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

    Comment


    • #3
      Okay, maybe I misunderstand what the Event system is. I was thinking that was sort of a global calendar of events of some sort? We have a sports related site and I was thinking about adding all the games into the Event system and then it would have Google maps for all the away games. And all the users would see the same set of events. But if users can create events, does that mean they have their own private event system and there isn't a global one?

      The reason I ask is, based on your reply, you can disallow user groups from adding events, but I don't see how you can stop them from seeing a menu link to it, but still have it available to other usergroups.

      Comment


      • #4
        You can edit the navbar links and set them to only display to the admin usergroups.
        If they know the URL they could still get to it, but most won't.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

        Comment


        • #5
          No, the users don't have a private event-system. All events are also topics which are following the permissions of the forum. If the user have the permission to see a category and the events in it, all users with that permission see the event. Events are global like every topic or post is. Like Mark.B said ...As long as you have the permission everybody see the event.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            You can edit the navbar links and set them to only display to the admin usergroups.
            If they know the URL they could still get to it, but most won't.
            Okay, that's perfect actually.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              Use the channel permissions, under the 'Forum' channel, edit all usergroups except admin, and under the create permissions, deny the permission to create new events.
              So if they can't create an event they cannot see them either?
              __________________________________________
              We don't stop playing because we grow old;
              we grow old because we stop playing.
              GBS

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by delicjous View Post
                No, the users don't have a private event-system. All events are also topics which are following the permissions of the forum. If the user have the permission to see a category and the events in it, all users with that permission see the event. Events are global like every topic or post is. Like Mark.B said ...As long as you have the permission everybody see the event.
                Okay, I think I am getting it. So the event has a thread and people can post on the event "page"? If so, that's actually really cool.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                  Use the channel permissions, under the 'Forum' channel, edit all usergroups except admin, and under the create permissions, deny the permission to create new events.
                  Would you be willing to add a test even or two to your demo site so I can understand them better?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MrsTiggywinkle View Post

                    So if they can't create an event they cannot see them either?
                    Users without "Can Create Event" can see events in channels they have permission to view content in.
                    Translations provided by Google.

                    Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

                      Users without "Can Create Event" can see events in channels they have permission to view content in.
                      That's what I thought but the OP asked to make them hidden while he tested it and Mark's answer to prevent members creating events wouldn't do that so I thought I'd misunderstood how it worked.
                      __________________________________________
                      We don't stop playing because we grow old;
                      we grow old because we stop playing.
                      GBS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yes you can't hide it completely....if you want to do that it is best to set up a private test mirror of the board and test on there.
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I was thinking I would enable it and just not have any navigation to it. I don't mind if a user could magically conjure up the URL to it, I just don't want to have experimental content linked to. I could use CSS to "turn it off" if I had to, I suppose, but I am betting just not having a link to it in the site builder Navigation solves the problem.

                          Comment


                          • Wayne Luke
                            Wayne Luke commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just edit the permissions on the link in Site Builder so that Admins can see it. When you edit a navigation or sub-navigation link, you can change the permissions.

                          • alfreema
                            alfreema commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oh geez. I totally didn't realize that "User groups" functionality was on the nav links themselves. Awesome!

                        • #14
                          You could set up a channel with permission for admins (or some usergroups) only. Then give the permission to create events.
                          Or you could look at this one: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...t-day-of-month

                          This is how you see events... and there you could also start an event.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by alfreema View Post
                            I was thinking I would enable it and just not have any navigation to it. I don't mind if a user could magically conjure up the URL to it, I just don't want to have experimental content linked to. I could use CSS to "turn it off" if I had to, I suppose, but I am betting just not having a link to it in the site builder Navigation solves the problem.
                            Just be aware it will show in "New Topics" and similar search modules.
                            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                            TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                            Comment

                            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X