Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facebook posts thumbnail is a thumbnail of the first post in a topic, not a thumbnail of the post itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDawg
    replied
    It wasn't like this at certain points...been doing this for a few years now...there were times in the past when the Publish to Facebook would post a thumbnail of the individual post not of always the first post of the entire topic (thread).

In fact, I just looked back...in June of this year (2017) I made a "Publish to FB" post of a brand new topic...the thumbnail contained the text from the first post. At that time there was only that one post in the thread.
    The very next day, I made a second post in that same topic, and also published to FB...the FB thumbnail for that second post contained the text from the second post, not the first.

Also have been times when the FB thumbnail has been completely empty:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14581

Or the post hasn't published to FB at all:
    http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-16577
    Last edited by MDawg; Sat 2nd Dec '17, 2:24pm.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Vergara
    replied
    That's why I think the Share buttons in postbit are misleading. I turned them off on my site.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Vergara
    replied
    When sharing a post in a topic, you're actually sharing the topic url itself and it just redirects and scrolls to that post There's no dedicated page for individual posts in vB5. So the open graph tags are for the topic (first post) only.

Leave a comment:

• rhens
    replied
    5 years ago, the stated purpose of vB5 was to "connect"......now, every other medium on the market can quickly and easily post legible content to facebook.....except vB5. you would think someone within the braintrust of the software development group would consider this a priority

Leave a comment:

• Facebook posts thumbnail is a thumbnail of the first post in a topic, not a thumbnail of the post itself

When you post something and check to have it posted also on Facebook, the resulting thumbnail on FB contains the text from the first post of that topic (thread), versus content from that post itself.

In other words, if you say keep checking to post multiple posts in a topic to FB, the thumbnail of each will look identical, and on FB it will look like you are repeatedly posting the same thing.