Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

https://forum.vbulletin.com/articles...database-tools

I suggest waiting until after 5.6.3 is released though. There is an updated conversion script in 5.6.3.
    Hi Wayne, i have converted my forum to 5.6.3. can share how to convert to UTF8MB4 using conversion scripts in 5.6.3? thanks
    Hosting: HostGator dedicated server
    cloudflare enabled
    PHP: 7.3
    MySQL: 5.6
    Vb5: 5.6.3

Comment

https://forum.vbulletin.com/articles...database-tools
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne,

I did the conversion scripts 2 months and everything looks good. Emoticon is function without any issue.

Just today, i move my forum to new hosting. the forum is running well. But Emoticon is not working probably now. Alll the inserted Emoticon has become ????. Also the new post, emoticon return as ???.

This is how i did mysql dump my database "mysqldump --opt -Q -u dpp_dmin56 -p dpp_vb563 > backup_vb563_20201108.sql" from old hosting. Then restore "mysql -u dpp_admin56 -p dpp_vb563 < backup_vb563_20201108.sql" on new hosting. Then copy everything files from /forum to new hosting. then point my domain to new server.

Old database is version: 5.6.49 and new database is version: 5.7.32. Both on colation : utf8mb4_unicode_ci
        old server php 7.3 and new server php 7.4
        vbulletin version is 5.6.3

What could be the possible issue?

cloudflare enabled

Comment

What could be the possible issue?
          In MySQL 5.7, the default character set and collation on a new installation is latin1 and latin1_general_ci. If this is the default of the server and vBulletin is talking to the server in Latin1, UTF-8 characters can be lost. This is in addition to the database's character set and collation.

What is the new server's default character set, collation, and server connection settings for the server? Your hosting provider can supply this information.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

In MySQL 5.7, the default character set and collation on a new installation is latin1 and latin1_general_ci. If this is the default of the server and vBulletin is talking to the server in Latin1, UTF-8 characters can be lost. This is in addition to the database's character set and collation.

What is the new server's default character set, collation, and server connection settings for the server? Your hosting provider can supply this information.
            Hi Wayne, thanks for the direction, below is the server setting between old are new. When I duplicate the database to new server it has became utf8_unicode_ci. May I know how to change it to utf8mb_general_ci? Thanks

Old server setting
            Click image for larger version

Name:	79FA67D4-0F59-41C3-AF5B-D501E31CC732.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	4449945 Click image for larger version

Name:	CF2A3E7E-9C32-46D3-9412-876694E2D8A2.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	4449946

new server setting

Name:	F174589D-2AE2-4443-9504-8A0443029D64.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	4449947

Name:	CCBB34BF-5761-4646-8016-1F07D83AA736.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	4449948
            cloudflare enabled

Comment

on my test server I changed the database character set to utf8mb4_general_ci. After that I can post the emoticon without issue on new post, however my previous posts with emoticon remain ????.

anyways to salvage my previous lost emoticon data?

Name:	4536A0CD-A875-46FA-8EF4-081A5BC1B19C.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	4449951
              cloudflare enabled

Comment

Reimport the data and make sure that the character set is utf8mb4 when exported and then imported again.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X