OpenGraph Image Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGraph Image Issue

After upgrading two sites to 5.3.4 it appears as though open graph is still using the vbulletin5_logo.png image in the images/misc folder rather than the image in the URL. Even more confusing is changing the vbulletin5_logo image does not change the open graph image. The open graph image is obviously cached somewhere but clearing the system cache does nothing. Is there a way to clear the OpenGraph image cache?

Did you specify an image to use under Settings -> Options -> Facebook Options?

You would have to talk to Facebook about any Opengraph Image Cache. That has nothing to do with the software.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Did you specify an image to use under Settings -> Options -> Facebook Options?

You would have to talk to Facebook about any Opengraph Image Cache. That has nothing to do with the software.
      I did specify an image in the images/misc folder (which is not appearing) but even after deleting the vbulletin5_logo.png image it still continues to show in the open graph.

I'll contact Facebook.

Comment

Last time I tried to do anything with Opengraph images (which admittedly was years ago and on vB4), it took some time for Facebook to actually reflect any changes made.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

I did specify an image in the images/misc folder (which is not appearing) but even after deleting the vbulletin5_logo.png image it still continues to show in the open graph.

I'll contact Facebook.
          Does the image specified show up in the code when you view the page source? It must be be an Absolute URL matching the protocol (HTTP or HTTPS) of your site.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

In your facebook developer tools there is a place to clear the cache. I think facebook has cached your old image and is not reflecting the changes: https://vbmods.rocks/forum/vbulletin...al-media-sites

If you ask Glenn, he can tell you how or where to go in Facebook to clear the cache.

Comment

Here's the Facebook Batch Invalidator tool to clear the cache for URLs that have been shared on Facebook.

https://developers.facebook.com/tool...sharing/batch/

If you click the Sharing Debugger tab, you can also debug how Facebook sees and parses the open graph meta tags in the URL you enter.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara View Post
                Here's the Facebook Batch Invalidator tool to clear the cache for URLs that have been shared on Facebook.

https://developers.facebook.com/tool...sharing/batch/

If you click the Sharing Debugger tab, you can also debug how Facebook sees and parses the open graph meta tags in the URL you enter.
                This works but only if you re-scrape the URL. Otherwise, apparently, Facebook caches the same image ad infinitum.

That's far more of a hassle than it should be considering I was never using the vbulletin5_logo.png image in the Facebook Options Image URL.

Facebook took it upon itself to select that URL despite the fact a different one was entered into the Facebook options URL.

Comment

Try editing the header template and inserting og:updated_time meta tag in the <head>

Code:
                  <meta property="og:updated_time" content="{vb:date timenow, U}" />

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment