Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apostrophes deleted from iPad responces in Safari?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amonline
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Just created one here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17898

Leave a comment:

• amonline
    replied
    Thanks, Wayne. Have you created a tracker ticket? Can you provide me with the link? I like to follow the issues I report.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It is caused directly by the "curly quotes" used with the smart quotes option in iOS and comes down to UTF-8 support. It will most likely need programming to fix.

Leave a comment:

• amonline
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    The characters show on the desktop but not on the iPhone. It may be a bug in iOS. If you edit the post on the desktop, they break.

edit: This tells me that something is incorrect with the character sent from the device.
    As I told Joe, on our forum (vdrums.com), the posts/replies posted from iOS do NOT show the apostrophes on iOS or Desktop. (I have not tested any other characters) As I tested here for Joe previously, and had no issue, I'd suggest testing on vdrums.com, where the issue is verified. Perhaps 5.3.4 is making a difference in some way?

edit: Basically, I'm saying your experience is not what we experience at our forum. I had no issue editing those posts later on desktop. Apostrophes are missing on both. (when posted from iOS) This is the link I tested locally here: https://www.vbulletin.com/link.php?u...postrophe-test The result was that this forum does not have the issue, but ours does.
    Last edited by amonline; Fri 10 Nov '17, 3:45pm.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    The characters show on the desktop but not on the iPhone. It may be a bug in iOS. If you edit the post on the desktop, they break.

edit: This tells me that something is incorrect with the character sent from the device.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I'm testing smart punctuation. Maybe if used in a way that is not grammatically correct, certain characters do not show in vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    commented on 's reply
    The apostrophe and double quote are missing above.

‘’ “”

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    This is done on iOS 11.2 with smart punctuation on. Albeit, an iPhone 8 and not an iPad but I don’t think that matters.

‘ “ @ ! ? , . & $

Leave a comment:

• BirdOPrey5
    replied
    Originally posted by twistsol View Post
    Confirmed in Safari on iOS 11.1 with vb 5.3.3.

This is happening on our development site as well. If you turn off Smart Punctuation on the iPad Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Smart Punctuation, the apostrophies work correctly
    Would you be able to try posting in this topic with Smart Punctuation enabled? I do not have an iPad to test with myself. I'm thinking it may work when the database coalition is utf8 but not when it is latin as "Smart Punctuation" sounds like a term for "fancy quotes" which are a different character than the standard quote symbol on my most keyboards.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Confirmed in Safari on iOS 11.1 with vb 5.3.3.

This is happening on our development site as well. If you turn off Smart Punctuation on the ipad Settings --> General --> Keyboard --> Smart Punctuation, the apostrophies work correctly

Leave a comment:

• amonline
    started a topic Apostrophes deleted from iPad responces in Safari?

Apostrophes deleted from iPad responces in Safari?

Can some of you reading this test on your various forums by responding to topics from Safari on iPad to see if you experience the same issue we have on our forum? (vB 5.3.x) We experience apostrophes being deleted from responses posted to topics.

This has been an issue for us for quite some time. vB support replied in a ticket that this has not been mentioned by anyone other than myself. The tech suggested posting here to find some others that can validate the experience. (I'm not really sure why they cannot log into our forum with an iPad and test it?!)

My iPad has the latest version of iOS. (although I have experienced it long enough to cover several versions) If you do test this, please share what browser(s) and version of iOS you use. Please check in Safari, if you will.

Thank you.