Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long waiting times for posting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Long waiting times for posting

    We have this problem since quite a while.
    It appears that users with older accounts, 5000+ posts, 500+ photos, have long waiting time when they writing posts. Even up to 2 minuts.
    We made a test, and I created for this user new account, and he was able to write in 2 seconds ('Waiting..' at the top was gone in 2 seconds).
    Any idea why this happens?

    We use vbulletin 5.3.2 patch level 1

  • #2
    Please run these three queries on the database.

    Code:
    DELETE FROM cache
    DELETE FROM cacheevent 
    DELETE FROM searchlog
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      Please run these three queries on the database.

      Code:
      DELETE FROM cache
      DELETE FROM cacheevent
      DELETE FROM searchlog
      Thank you Mark.
      Is this all I have to write there?
      I get popup like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	4379195

      Comment


      • naszeaudio
        naszeaudio commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, my tables name is vb_cache. Will test it. Thank you again.

    • #4
      Yes if you have a table prefix you will need to add that into the queries.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

      TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
        Yes if you have a table prefix you will need to add that into the queries.
        It works much faster for me. I will wait for my '2minutes' user feedback but I think this was the problem. Click image for larger version  Name:	hi.gif Views:	1 Size:	2.8 KB ID:	4379203

        I was doing optimization and repair, but I did not know I have to delete cache, cacheevent and searchlog.
        How often should I repet those commends?
        Should I run other maintenance commends on DB as well?

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by naszeaudio View Post

          It works much faster for me. I will wait for my '2minutes' user feedback but I think this was the problem. Click image for larger version Name:	hi.gif Views:	1 Size:	2.8 KB ID:	4379203

          I was doing optimization and repair, but I did not know I have to delete cache, cacheevent and searchlog.
          How often should I repet those commends?
          Should I run other maintenance commends on DB as well?
          At the moment run them whenever the site appears to slow down. Once a week should be ok unless you have masses of traffic, but more often will not hurt if you can be bothered. You can do it in the admincp if you give yourself query running permissions in the core config file.

          The issue itself should be fixed in 5.3.4 - first public alpha of which, by coincidence, has just been released.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

          TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

            At the moment run them whenever the site appears to slow down. Once a week should be ok unless you have masses of traffic, but more often will not hurt if you can be bothered. You can do it in the admincp if you give yourself query running permissions in the core config file.

            The issue itself should be fixed in 5.3.4 - first public alpha of which, by coincidence, has just been released.
            Will do, thanks.

            Well, it is very fast now.
            It was very frustrating for lots of people on my forum...After 18 months DB was 3.1GB, and now went down to 771MB after your suggested comments. Shocking.

            I decided to skip 5.3.3, good to hear 5.3.4 will have this implemented.


            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by naszeaudio View Post

              I decided to skip 5.3.3, good to hear 5.3.4 will have this implemented.
              I was experiencing the same issues as you while using 5.3.2. The issue was actually resolved or didn't rear its nasty head in 5.3.3. I see it really doesn't matter now though since Alpha versions of 5.3.4 are now released, and it is officially addressed.

              Enjoy,
              William

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by naszeaudio View Post

                Will do, thanks.

                Well, it is very fast now.
                It was very frustrating for lots of people on my forum...After 18 months DB was 3.1GB, and now went down to 771MB after your suggested comments. Shocking.

                I decided to skip 5.3.3, good to hear 5.3.4 will have this implemented.

                It's not so much implemented, it's more a fix to prevent the issue occurring in the first place.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                Comment


                • naszeaudio
                  naszeaudio commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok, now I know that I will help us a lot. People were pushing me to move to other forum engine, frustration was growing, as everything was slow.

              • #10
                Optimization and Repair will not do much to improve performance of your site.

                In MySQL, Optimization means delete content that is already marked for deletion. If you haven't mass deleted topics or attachments recently, there isn't any real reason to run this. Doing so won't gain anything.

                Repair should only be run if a table it marked as "Crashed and should be repaired". If you're using INNODB, this actually doesn't do much of anything. With MyISAM, your site will probably be down if tables need repairing. Running a repair on tables that don't need it can cause those tables to crash, ironically.
                Translations provided by Google.

                Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

                Comment


                • #11
                  Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  Optimization and Repair will not do much to improve performance of your site.

                  In MySQL, Optimization means delete content that is already marked for deletion. If you haven't mass deleted topics or attachments recently, there isn't any real reason to run this. Doing so won't gain anything.

                  Repair should only be run if a table it marked as "Crashed and should be repaired". If you're using INNODB, this actually doesn't do much of anything. With MyISAM, your site will probably be down if tables need repairing. Running a repair on tables that don't need it can cause those tables to crash, ironically.
                  Thank you for information Wayne.

                  I was using commends from drop menu in adminmyphp (at the bottom of 'Structure'). Check all -> With selected: Optimize Table. I am not sure if I used repair there. I have couple engines on server but: "InnoDB is the default storage engine on this MySQL server"
                  It did not crash yet so hopefully everything is fine. When I use check selected table everything is 'OK'.

                  I know there is optimize/repair table in admin panel and this I have used many times...

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    Originally posted by naszeaudio View Post

                    Thank you for information Wayne.

                    I was using commends from drop menu in adminmyphp (at the bottom of 'Structure'). Check all -> With selected: Optimize Table. I am not sure if I used repair there. I have couple engines on server but: "InnoDB is the default storage engine on this MySQL server"
                    It did not crash yet so hopefully everything is fine. When I use check selected table everything is 'OK'.

                    I know there is optimize/repair table in admin panel and this I have used many times...
                    As Wayne has indicated, repair and optimize are not 'routine maintenance' commands and should never be run unless there is a specific reason to do so.
                    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

                      As Wayne has indicated, repair and optimize are not 'routine maintenance' commands and should never be run unless there is a specific reason to do so.
                      Ok, so routine DB maintenance is:
                      DELETE FROM cache
                      DELETE FROM cacheevent
                      DELETE FROM searchlog

                      Correct?

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by naszeaudio View Post

                        Ok, so routine DB maintenance is:
                        DELETE FROM cache
                        DELETE FROM cacheevent
                        DELETE FROM searchlog

                        Correct?
                        Well, it is at the moment until the improvement goes in in 5.3.4.
                        That's more site maintenance than database maintenance, technically.
                        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                        TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

                          Well, it is at the moment until the improvement goes in in 5.3.4.
                          That's more site maintenance than database maintenance, technically.
                          Is there any manual for site/DB maintenance?

                          Comment

                          Related Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X