Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PayPal recurring subscriptions & cancellations not going through.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal recurring subscriptions & cancellations not going through.

Hi,

I have a paid subscription feature for a section of our forum. When people cancel a subscription, it cancels their status as a paid member on the forum, but never cancels their subscription from within paypal.

Is this a known bug? if not, is there a usual fix? If there isn't, is there a simple way to disable the ability to unsubscribe from the forum so that it forces people to log into their paypal accounts and delete their subscription? I receive many emails from people stating that they unsubscribed and are still being billed, and I can see when they ended their subscription on the forum. The paypal recurring subscription remains.

In the admincp, under paid subscriptions --> test communications it shows pass next to paypal. I'm not sure what else to do.

Thank you!

Recurring Subscriptions are handled by Paypal, not vBulletin. They need to cancel them in their Paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/a...rchant-FAQ2058
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Is there anyway to get rid of this button without lots of editing the PHP of vbulletin? If an unsubscribe button exists on a paid forum, people will intuitively believe it also ends their recurring payment without them having to take the separate step of cancelling the payment in paypal. It's misleading for this button to be there.

Thank you!

Comment

Would it be better to add a message saying they should also cancel on Paypal side instead of removing the button?

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Good point, I think there is a debate to be had there. I would say no. When I click unsubscribe on an email I don't want to receive, I never read any of the contents of the email. My eyes are scanning for the unsubscribe button and my brain doesn't turn on until I see it. I just hit unsubscribe and assume I'm done. Most will not be reading I imagine.

I would be fine with the message if it were possible for the administrator of the forum to easily edit the font size/color of the message to something incredibly obnoxious. Having the message present would most certainly be a large step forward.

Thank you for your reply!

Comment

If they are clicking a link in the email, that is just to unsubscribe them from the email. What exactly are your users clicking that they find confusing?

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

The message should be right next to the Unsubscribe button. Without a chance to look at how the HTML structure for the Unsubscribe button looks like, I'm guessing the message could be added via pure CSS.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                What exactly are your users clicking that they find confusing?
                They are clicking unsubscribe in their profile on the forum and wondering why they are still charged every month afterwards. There's no message on that page that tells them they must also unsubscribe in PayPal as well.

Comment

Subscriptions on their User Profile page have nothing to do with payment. Those are individual subscriptions to topics and channels.

Do you mean their User Settings page? This screen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	snip_20170619085909.png
Views:	61
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	4372057

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I've added a JIRA to add a disclaimer to the page. http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-17421

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Temporary solution using pure CSS:

Code:
                      #subscriptionsTab .js-order_confirm_table td:last-child:after {
                          content: 'Note: This is a recurring subscription. If canceled, you also need to cancel the payment schedule in your Paypal account';
                          font-size: 11px;
                          color: red;
                          display: block;
                          margin: 3px 0 -14px;
                      }
                      Add that code in css_additional template in AdminCP or in Sitebuilder > Style > CSS Editor.

Here's how it would look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	end-subscription-note.png
Views:	109
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	4372069

Comment

• Glenn Vergara
                        Glenn Vergara commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Note that this would only work if you only have recurring subscriptions and are only using Paypal. This is because from the HTML markup used, CSS wouldn't be able to distinguish between recurring and one-time subscriptions and different payment methods used to pay for the subscription.

• Glenn Vergara
                        Glenn Vergara commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you need to distinguish, you would need Javascript to dynamically determine the subscription type and payment type and add the note. You can do this using template hook which wouldn't require editing existing vB templates.
                    widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X