Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange Forum Error: Sending full login session to wrong user.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moneyspillsempire
    replied
    Originally posted by Masterjts View Post
    I fear I need to move away from bluehost even though I have prepaid another year. But if I do can I move to a vb5 cloud account and upload my backup database until I find a new host?
    Hi there!

I think the issue with your forum isn't something to worry about.

So, what hosting package are you on; shared or VPN?

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    The only way for this to happen is some sort of caching being used by your host. If you can access the Admin CP go to Admin CP -> Settings -> Options -> Cookie and HTTP Header Options -> Add No-Cache HTTP Headers, and set to Yes. (This setting should exist on all VB versions, other than Cloud which doesn't need it.)

This may not solve the problem, but it's worth a try.

However this is really a server issue, not something VB could cause.

Leave a comment:

• vette guy
    replied
    I'm experiencing the exact same issue - it began on 4/28/2017, however uncertain of the time. I'm running 3.8.9, but same issue - go to site, already logged in with a prior user's session. Click on PMs, and a different user's session now appears, and all of their Private Messages are visible. You are able to login with your own credentials, and post correctly, however when browsing, it appears that the user may change. I'm on JustHost which runs Apache 2.2.31; PHP 5.4.43; MySQL 5.6.32; Perl 5.10.1. JustHost states that they did not make any server side updates that day. I restored a prior file and DB backup with no change.

Leave a comment:

• Masterjts
    replied
    Cloudflare is off (it has always been off for the site) and according to tech support varnish is not enabled for my site.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Turn off CloudFlare. Tell your host not to use Varnish. Varnish is bad for dynamic sites.

Leave a comment:

• Masterjts
    replied
    If I read some other forums posts correctly I can buy a year worth of cloud for 190$ or one month plus migration services for 140$.

Tha'ts not really optimal considering im already going to eat an entire year's worth of premium hosting. Everyone always makes running a forum seem fun... where is all that fun I was promised!
    Last edited by Masterjts; Fri 28th Apr '17, 3:54pm.

Leave a comment:

• Strange Forum Error: Sending full login session to wrong user.

Yesterday around 3pm gmt-6 a vb5 5.2.4 forum being hosted on a bluehost site started acting very screwy.

It started sending full login sessions to people for whoever was the last person to log into a thread.

So you logged in, went to the forum list and picked a thread. Lets say you were user1. you load up the thread and it sends you the login session for user57 including all of his private messages. I had to completely shut down the forum in order to protect privacy.

I thought this might be a host issue as bluehost is known for being a horrible host for forums. They claim it is not on their front end. No server files changed since I upgraded to 5.2.4 when it came out and the database doesnt seem corrupted.

I completely took down the forum (a horrible idea because while I have a backup of the database it is 726mb and now cant be reuploaded to bluehost because their myphpadmin only allows 50mb and their database backup crashes for databasess over 50mb.

Once I took the forum down I put up a simple machine forum with a brand new database (used different prefix, name etc as well as using postgresql instead of mysql. This new forum is now doing exactly the same thing. It shows you logged in as a different user. Luckily there are only about 10 registered users and none have private messages so there is no private information for you to see.

Anyone ever heard of an issue like this? Is it something set wrong on my end or is it the host's issue?

I fear I need to move away from bluehost even though I have prepaid another year. But if I do can I move to a vb5 cloud account and upload my backup database until I find a new host?