lost content - partial import from backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost content - partial import from backup

I have old database with full but old content, and new database that has some of the old content lost but includes all the new content since the old database (backup) has been created.

Tried to load new.db in test install and import into the node table all the lost rows from old.db.
    Of course it turns out it's not that easy and it seems that content is not showing on the forum, running various update tools from admincp didn't help either.

What am I missing - would you have some pointers for me please?

I'll try it the other way now, to load old.db and import the diff from new.db.

Also planning to look into soft-deleted threads, ie. to ammend the missing rows to show properties of soft-deleted threads, but I feel that'll likely be a dead end and lost time.

You can't mix databases like this - it won't work. Many tables are interdependent on other tables and you've have clashing row numbers.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

So there is no way?

If we load the old.db and I have the missing rows (by unique nodeid) from new.db, they'd still be useless?

I wouldn't mind to spend some time on editing the cross-references...
      (So far I have spotted lastcontentid and lastauthorid would have to be changed with main topics in node table but guess that's likely the easiest part?)

Comment

You can theoretically try and manually cross reference everything. We cannot possibly provide any support for this, and I can almost certainly say that not everything will work properly when finished. The system is simply not designed for this sort of thing.

It sounds like it is, sadly, a lesson in ensuring you have proper, verified regular backups.This sort of scenario is exactly why they are such a good idea.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thank you Mark! No big deal, if it's not feasible, that's how it is.
          We do have a backup, it's just that sometimes one wishes the backup was only one hour old.

Comment

Compare the 2 backup files for the old and new dbs using a file diff tool. Copy all the new sql statements and save it in a new sql file. Then import the file into the old database. There's no guarantee it will work but it's worth a try.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X