Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to stop automatic user registration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to stop automatic user registration?

I get 10-20 new accounts that get created on my site everyday, the weird thing is these accounts get created within milliseconds of one another so it has to be a script of some sort. I enabled human verification question and answer, akismet spam, etc.

Anyone know how these accounts are getting created? I'm getting worried

Thanks

Try enabling Recaptcha 2. This is available on vB 5.2.5 and up. If you're using an older version, you have to upgrade. You have to upgrade anyway (or at least apply the security patches) if you're using 5.2.4 and below as those versions have security vulnerabilities.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

'Question and Answer' is only useful if you have dozens of questions that can be randomly chosen. Even then, it can be programmed by a targetted bot. Recaptcha2 is more dynamic.

You'll also find some bots and automatic registration tools use random email addresses like [email protected]. You can stop a lot of these with email verification. Turn it on under Settings -> Options -> User Registration Options. Ban email addresses that look 'iffy' under Settings -> Options -> User Banning Options.

Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment