Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No install folder in vb5 download????

Hi all
    So I have purchased two upgrade licences for both of my vb4 forums.
    Just went to upgrade the forum I keep as a backup forum if the main one goes down and have come unstuck immediately.

The upgrade instructions tell you to delete all files but leave attachments, customavatar, customprofilepic, and signaturepics folders in place.

I have then unzipped the vb5 download and uploaded the files to the server but there is no install folder.

So what am I supposed to do now??? :-)

Good start
    Regards
    Trevor

Originally posted by Trevor Matthews View Post
    So what am I supposed to do now??? :-)
    Probably just look in the right place for it, its inside the "core" folder.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Err, thanks, even more confused now.
      So I now have the folders I was told to leave alone at /
      And then the contents of the upload folder at / and then the core folder at /core
      And core also contains the names of the folders I was told to leave alone at /

Why do the upgrade instructions not even mention this or what to do?

Can you explain what I should upload and where to please.
      Regards
      Trevor

Comment

I have no idea who told you to leave what [alone] or why.
        You seem to be confusing youself, its really not that hard.

The process has not changed, you upload the contents of "Upload" to the root folder for your forum.
        (for example here, we use the /forum folder). You might be using /board, or /community.

If you have any existing folders there you must remove them [all] first.
        You cannot upload vB5 on top of vB4 (or vB3, or anything else). Doing so will likely fail.
        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Well then the upgrade instructions vb supply in the download are wrong.....

Steps 5, 6 and 7 are pasted below.
          • Important: If you are upgrading from vBulletin 3 or 4, backup your existing files and delete the files off your server before proceeding. vBulletin 5 needs to be installed in an empty directory. Do not delete your attachments, customavatar, customprofilepic, or signaturepics folders.
          • Copy the contents of your local computer's Upload folder to your server into the vbulletin_root directory on your server. You only need to copy the contents, not the Upload folder itself.
          • If you receive a prompt asking if you want to overwrite the existing files tell it yes, for all the files in your Queue.

It goes on to say;

After uploading the files to your chosen location on your server, open your web browser and enter in the address followed by your vbulletin_root and install/upgrade.php.
          Example: http://www.example.com/forums/install/upgrade.php

So how is that right if the install folder is in the core folder????
          Regards
          Trevor

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Matthews View Post
            Well then the upgrade instructions vb supply in the download are wrong.....

Steps 5, 6 and 7 are pasted below.
            • Important: If you are upgrading from vBulletin 3 or 4, backup your existing files and delete the files off your server before proceeding. vBulletin 5 needs to be installed in an empty directory. Do not delete your attachments, customavatar, customprofilepic, or signaturepics folders.
            • Copy the contents of your local computer's Upload folder to your server into the vbulletin_root directory on your server. You only need to copy the contents, not the Upload folder itself.
            • If you receive a prompt asking if you want to overwrite the existing files tell it yes, for all the files in your Queue.

It goes on to say;

After uploading the files to your chosen location on your server, open your web browser and enter in the address followed by your vbulletin_root and install/upgrade.php.
            Example: http://www.example.com/forums/install/upgrade.php

So how is that right if the install folder is in the core folder????
            Have you actually tried it?

vBulletin 5 uses an extensive system of URL redirects.

I would recommend that instead of trying to prove the instructions "wrong", you just try following them and see if it works.

Make sure you rename both confit.php files, and also the .htaccess file.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

No, I haven't tried it as I had no idea entering what looked like an incorrect path to the upgrade script would work.
              How would anyone know that if they aren't told?
              I will try it now.
              Regards
              Trevor

Comment

And no, it doesn't work. All I get is a 404 page not found error.
                If I shorten the address to www.mywebsite.co.uk/forum
                I get the following onscreen message; Configuration: includes/config.php does not exist. For a new install click here
                And the link takes you to https://mywebsite.co.uk/forum/core/i...makeconfig.php

Both files mentioned have been renamed.
                Regards
                Trevor

Comment

Dropped the database tables and started from scratch with only the new vb5 files.
                  Still the same problem.

I am running this on a Synology NAS and vb4 was working perfectly until tonight on it.
                  .htaccess file that I used to restrict access also worked correctly.

So what do I do now?
                  Regards
                  Trevor

Comment

Have you edited the core/config.php file to add the database credentials?
                    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

No, the instructions said this would be done automatically during the new install process.
                      • After uploading the files to your chosen location on your server, open your web browser and enter in the address followed by your vbulletin_root and install/install.php.
                      • Since this is your first time installing, the system should automatically redirect you to the Installation Wizard.
                      • The first screen of the Wizard will ask for your Customer ID to authorize you. Enter this and click "Begin Install"
                      • The Configuration Builder will create the necessary config.php files for you. Fill in the values for etc etc etc.

Regards
                      Trevor

Comment

Sorted, neither my dedicated server or the Synology NAS were happy with the .htaccess file being renamed.

I used another .htaccess file I have already on my main forum and cut and pasted the contents to it then uploaded it to the new install.
                        Regards
                        Trevor

Comment