Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with high server load and (24)Too many open files error after vBulletin upgrade from 4 to 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with high server load and (24)Too many open files error after vBulletin upgrade from 4 to 5

Hi,

a few days ago we upgraded our vBulletin forum from version 4.2.3 to latest vB5 Connect 5.2.5. Since the Forum runs under version 5 we have some really critical problems.
    First the load on the server is much higher than with previous version of vBulletin.
    The old forum was on Apache 2.2 with PHP 5.4 running as FPM not as Apache module. Though latest Version 5 only runs with PHP 5.5+ we have now PHP 5.6.25 also as FPM. MySQL is 5.5.52. Whole running on a physical Machine with Debian 7 (Wheezy) Linux OS.
    Currently there are no Plugins installed.

Since the version 5 is running there are sometimes (24)Too many open files error messages inside Apache error logs:
    [crit] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] (24)Too many open files: /.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

We tried to set higher ulimit inside /etc/apache2/envvars (for Apache), ulimit -Sn 8192 (for System) and also open_files_limit = 8192 (for MySQL) but then we get errors like following:
    (20)Not a directory: FastCGI: failed to connect to server "/fcgi-bin-php5.6-fpm-horse-gate-forum": socket file descriptor (1024) is larger than FD_SETSIZE (1024), you probably need to rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE

I don't think that a standard Linux distribution is not able to handle a vBulletin forum without recompiling Apache??

The server monitoring software show a dramatically increase of MySQL Transactions since the upgrade. Also InnoDB table locks are increased since then.
    The InnoDB Status shows that there are Deadlocks on some queries. There seems to by a very high number of queries for caching tables.
    Attached i have added the output of MySQL INNODB STATUS.

Does someone has an idea or maybe the same problem after upgrading vBulletin to version 5.2.x?

Thx and best regards,
    Christoph
    Attached Files

No idea?
    Last edited by forumvbservice; Thu 19 Jan '17, 10:45pm.

Comment

vB5 requires considerably more resources than vB4 did.
      You may get better performance running php 7.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I have some news about my problem and maybe someone else is running into same problem.
        To resolve the problem with (24)Too many open files / (20)Not a directory: FastCGI: failed to connect to server "/fcgi-bin-php5.6-fpm-horse-gate-forum": socket file descriptor (1024) is larger than FD_SETSIZE (1024), you probably need to rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE i really had to recompile Apache including mod-fastcgi. In Debian 7 (Wheezy) the FD_SETSIZE has fixed value 1024.

You have to set higher FD_SETSIZE (for example 65535) in these two files:
        /usr/include/linux/posix_types.h
        /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/typesizes.h
        #define __FD_SETSIZE 65535

and recompile Apache and Apache Module fastcgi
        apt-get source apache2
        apt-get build-dep apache2
        cd apache2-2.2.22
        debuild -us -uc
        cd ..
        dpkg -i *.deb

apt-get source libapache2-mod-fastcgi
        apt-get build-dep libapache2-mod-fastcgi
        cd libapache-mod-fastcgi-2.4.7~0910052141
        debuild -us -uc
        cd ..
        dpkg -i *.deb

Also i have done some optimizations to reduce the load of the server:
        • Changed storage type for attachments from DB to Filesystem
        • Enabled Search Delay per User in vBulletin Backend
        There is still higher load as on vB4 on the server but no more errors.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X