Using ajax forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using ajax forms

Anyone aware of issues using ajax forms in vb5? Any sites using it now?

I have a need for our site to have online submission forms for scholarship apps / award nominations, etc.

I havent seen any sites with submission forms other than registration. Curious if there would be any issues.
    Organizations must hire quality people — "If you hire stupid people, they are not going to get better over time," ~ Gordon Graham.

vB Mods That Rock!

Anyone?
    Organizations must hire quality people — "If you hire stupid people, they are not going to get better over time," ~ Gordon Graham.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

I'd have to see the actual code to give you an educated opinion on potential issues.

Comment

• NumNum
        NumNum commented
        Editing a comment
        Understood. That's hard to do because this is a dreamweaver extension I have to purchase. I'm reaching out to them as well for more info.

vB5 is also using an ajaxForm plugin (http://malsup.com/jquery/form/).

Though I don't think that will conflict with the new plugin you're planning to buy as they have different method names. But the style/layout may not completely work well with vB5 due to CSS conflicts. You may have to tweak some CSS to override some vB5 default style to fit the style of the new plugin.

Btw, here's their demo page: http://www.solutions4website.com/Ext...00/demo_1.html

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

I'll find out soon enough, I purchased it and will play around with it this weekend.

Thanks folks!

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Well it looks ok (css) styles, but the upload and submit buttons are not responsive (functional). Is there a way to id whether it is on the vb side or the app side?

debug mode didnt reveal anything.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Make sure your form is not loading a second version of jquery. If it is, you will need to either update the code to work with vbulletin's version or change the jquery variable to another variable other than $.

Comment

http://apco-atlantic.org/scholarship

Glenn your credentials should still work.

Replicant that might be it.
              Last edited by NumNum; Sun 17th Apr '16, 6:40am.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

• Replicant
                Replicant commented
                Editing a comment
                You're ajax form is loading jquery 2.1.4, vb is loading 1.7.2. If you upgrade to 5.2.1, it may solve the issue. 5.2.1 uses Jquery 2.1.4.

And don't include the <DOCTYPE>, <html> and <head> tags in the HTML module. The page already have those tags and you can only have one set of those on a page. And the js and css files should be preferrably in the <head> tag of the page except for the jquery.ajax-form.min.js and the call to fdAjaxForm() which should be at the bottom of the page right after vB5 includes the jquery library. It is not a simple copy and paste process. In order to integrate with vB5, you have to include the js and css files in the appropriate spots separate from the HTML content.

The easiest solution to avoid all these steps is to create an HTML file and embed that file inside an iframe. You can then copy and paste all the HTML content including js and css files as is to the HTML file. Then in your HTML Module, you just put in the <iframe> tag.

Code:
              <iframe src="/path/to/the/html/page.html" style="border: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow: auto;"></iframe>
              You don't have to worry about jquery version incompatibility as the actual form is a standalone page inside an iframe.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

That is awesome!

I made the iframe height larger by changing from 100% to 800px. The page is still responsive.

Thanks guys!
                Last edited by NumNum; Sun 17th Apr '16, 2:20am. Reason: solution

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

There is a conflict between the two versions of jquery. If I run the form on vB5.2.0 it allows the form to be filled out, files uploaded and form submitted through the UI, but the receiver of the data is seeing the form data stripped, but attachments are present.

If i run this on a vB5.2.1 site everything works fine.

FYI

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

How big of a deal is it to have the app use vB' jquery?

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Since you are using iframe to display the form as I can see on http://apco-atlantic.org/scholarship, you shouldn't have issue with jquery conflict.

Comment

You are correct! I dug a little bit deeper, and found a setting causing me trouble. All set, and as always Glenn, Many thanks !

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment