post edit/delete window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post edit/delete window

I thought that Vbulletin 5.1 had a 1 hour window on editing or deleting a post. Today I had a user contact me asking if I could delete a post for him as our forum was not allowing deletion. When I inspected the thread, the user had deleted 8 posts that had already been responded to and was trying to delete the opening post of the thread. As you can see in the attached del.png, the posts were created on March 9, but he was successfully able to delete all of his posts (other than the one that opened the topic) today at 13:45 localtime.

Is there a window or setting to restrict edit and deletion of posts? Our site is running Vbulletin 5.2.0 PL1 on Apache 2.2.15, PHP 5.4.16 and MySQL 5.1.73, thank you.
    Attached Files

After a quick test, I was able to 'soft' delete (as non-admin) a post a made several months ago. If there is an edit window in place, logically that window should apply to post deletion as well. Actually, the easiest method to preserve thread integrity and still give the user the ability to edit would be:

1 - a setting for edit/delete window in minutes
    2 - if a followup post has been made in the thread by any other user, the edit/delete window should be terminated

I am sure that does not apply to all forums, but it makes the most sense in our case if we expect to have a thread that can be followed in the future.

Comment

This is a channel permission per usergroup.

AdminCP > Channel Management > Channel Permissions > Edit > Time Limit for Editing Posts (hr)

Note the setting is in hours.
      By default it is 0 which means posts can be edited forever.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thank you for the update and directions on where to check for the edit/delete settings.

Unfortunately, the forums still do not behave as expected. I see the setting for 'Time Limit for Editing Posts (hr)', which is set to 1, and 'Can Delete Own Posts', which is enabled. What we want is for the 'Time Limit for Editing Posts (hr)' window to also apply to the 'Can Delete Own Posts' option. EG: users are able to delete own post if and only if the post was made within the last hour.
        Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X