Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Channels Read Page

What is this page for? What does it do?

It isn't a page, it's just a link to mark all the forums as read. That way, no posts that you hadn't already read will show up when you look for new posts again.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Lynne, or someone post that link here for me? Somehow I lost my "Mark Forums Read" link . Thank you.

Comment

It isn't actually a proper link....it uses Javascript. If you've deleted it from the navbar, you won't be able to get it back.

You can use the one on the forum front page though, at the bottom.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

You cant add it back and link to #

?
            Organizations must hire quality people — "If you hire stupid people, they are not going to get better over time," ~ Gordon Graham.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
              You cant add it back and link to #

?
              No, I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. There's no way to add it back in once it's been deleted.

Comment

Would it be fixed with a re-install or an upgrade?
                Organizations must hire quality people — "If you hire stupid people, they are not going to get better over time," ~ Gordon Graham.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Upgrade - no.

If you make a clean install then yes, but obviously you will lose all your members and posts doing that.

Comment

So a clean install, and then importing the database won't work?

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

• Replicant
                      Replicant commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No it won't work. The values are held in the site table and the import would overwrite the default values with your current values. You could do a test default installation, mysqldump the 'site' table and import it into your current database to get the default navbar links back or just recreate the link as described in the next post.

You can restore it.
                    Create a new navbar item in site-builder called "Mark channels read" or whatever. Then in the link creation dialog under Target URL, http://example.com/# and under link attributes, put class="navbar_mark_channels_read" and save.

Obviously replace example.com with your forum url.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mcr.png
Views:	59
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	4335333

Comment

• Dale D-FL
                      Dale D-FL commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Replicant, Thank you for this info. Just did it on my forum and seems to be working well.

I thought it is this simple as well, but Mark says it won't work. Albeit i havent the problem, its good info for those that do.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

• Replicant
                      Replicant commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I tested it on my cloud site and works as expected.

Like!

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

That's handy to know....I was always advised there was no way to add this link back without hacking about with the database but admittedly that was some time ago, clearly you can now.

That said we still have the problem (even on a default installation) that the link in the navbar doesn't work unless you're on a page that is under the 'Forum' tab. The fundamental issue is that the link uses with Javascript and it shouldn't, in my opinion. On my installations I hide the navbar link and direct people to the one at the fott of the forum homepage as having links that don't work is not a great user experience.

Comment

Not long ago, I did a template hook for a customer to make the "Mark Channels Read" work for all pages. If you are not on a forum channel page, clicking "Mark Channels Read" will mark read all posts in all channels just like how it works when you are on homepage.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment