Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error message when trying to edit a topic

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Error message when trying to edit a topic

    Hi everyone

    I am trying to change ownership of a thread (not even sure how to do it yet as this is a new upgrade, but just having a look around.)
    If I click on the first post of a thread and click "edit topic" I get a white pop up with a red triangle in it that just says "Error"
    Underneath that is a mostly blank pop up that has "manage content..... loading......" but then nothing loads, I have to refresh the page to make it go away.

    Can anyone help??
    thanks
    Last edited by Spacehopper; Mon 12th Oct '15, 12:16pm.

  • #2
    Not sure what you mean by change ownership of a thread...threads don't have owners, there is a thread starter but this cannot be changed.

    In terms of the actual error, try running these two queries:

    DELETE FROM cache
    DELETE FROM cacheevent

    NOTE: Do not run DELETE queries on any other table - you will break your site.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

    TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      Not sure what you mean by change ownership of a thread...threads don't have owners, there is a thread starter but this cannot be changed.

      In terms of the actual error, try running these two queries:

      DELETE FROM cache
      DELETE FROM cacheevent

      NOTE: Do not run DELETE queries on any other table - you will break your site.


      Thanks, I am unsure what to do now then, you used to be able to change the opening poster of a thread. I have a member who is the opening poster of a very popular topic, and she wants all of her posts deleting. In VB4 if I did this any topics started were deleted aswell, not just the first post.

      Can you confirm if this will happen in VB5?

      Thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        Me again, my tech guy did that for me and unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.

        I am also now "super administrator" but when I went to delete a load of spam posts I got an error message again.

        If I delete a user in the CP will that just set all their posts to "guest" like it used to in VB4?

        Comment


        • #5
          I have now discovered I can't merge threads either ( I tried to make a new thread then just merge them so I can delete the other users posts since she wouldn't be the opening posted anymore.)
          I get an "Error merging topics. (Error code 500) please try again" message, this is since the delete cache tip that you gave me.

          Can anyone help? The more I try to do the more it seems I am getting these messages. This is a new install only about 2 weeks ago did something go wrong then do you think?

          Comment


          • #6
            I would suggest changing her username to something different, and keeping the posts the way they are. You own the content on the forum. If she wants to keep her account open, then recreate her user after the name change and she can reset her password. As far as moving, merging and copying threads go, it sounds like you have a permission problem. I have no issues on my site using those functions as a SuperModerator. It does not require Super Admin or Admin rights, just the correct moderator permissions.


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Spacehopper View Post
              I have now discovered I can't merge threads either ( I tried to make a new thread then just merge them so I can delete the other users posts since she wouldn't be the opening posted anymore.)
              I get an "Error merging topics. (Error code 500) please try again" message, this is since the delete cache tip that you gave me.

              Can anyone help? The more I try to do the more it seems I am getting these messages. This is a new install only about 2 weeks ago did something go wrong then do you think?
              Error Code 500 is one of the most worthless error codes ever devised by programmers. It could be a 1000 different things. We would need access to your site with your user and information on the specific topics you're trying to edit so we can try to narrow it down. Since you have Ticket Support, the best option would be to open a Support Ticket using the Submit Ticket link below.
              Translations provided by Google.

              Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Spacehopper View Post



                Thanks, I am unsure what to do now then, you used to be able to change the opening poster of a thread. I have a member who is the opening poster of a very popular topic, and she wants all of her posts deleting. In VB4 if I did this any topics started were deleted aswell, not just the first post.

                Can you confirm if this will happen in VB5?

                Thanks
                There was never any way to do this in vBulletin...I suspect you may have had a third party add-on providing this functionality.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

                TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.4 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

                  There was never any way to do this in vBulletin...I suspect you may have had a third party add-on providing this functionality.


                  Hmm I don't remember having an add on to do this. Do you know if there is one for VB5? We get it quite a lot because I run a pregnancy and parenting forum with many members being regular for years before moving on, any popular threads they make I will need to swap them over to someone else if they want their posts deleting.


                  Can anyone confirm if I go to the admin CP and "delete user" will their posts be deleted as well or just set to "guest"?

                  Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Spacehopper View Post



                    Do you know if there is one for VB5?

                    Can anyone confirm if I go to the admin CP and "delete user" will their posts be deleted as well or just set to "guest"?

                    Thanks
                    1) No

                    2) Yes, deleted users posts are set to Guest.


                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X