Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Text Inside of [spoiler] tags going toward page count?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text Inside of [spoiler] tags going toward page count?

Hello,

Recently we've added [spoiler] tags to custom bb code in order to save space for tutorials.

Only problem is it still counts toward the maximum character number on the page. This is sort of a problem because the point is so that we can post more content, not less.

Do you believe there is a way for me to withhold the character count from the [spoiler] tags. (for those of you who do not know what a spoiler tag is, it's a custom bb code that hides the text or content from the page, only showing itself when clicked on. In other words if the content is hidden from the page, why does it still count toward the maximum count?) I believe I've actually set it to the maximum number in options, still having a problem with being able to put entire tutorials on one post.

Thank you for your help.

There's no way to change this. The text within them is still part of the post, even though it's obscured by default.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      There's no way to change this. The text within them is still part of the post, even though it's obscured by default.
      Well that's sad but at least you gave me a direct answer. Thank you for that.

Comment

I have not tried to do this as I haven't encountered the particular issue, but what about putting the tutorial in multiple posts and using the merge posts function in the inline mod menu?

Comment

Originally posted by Replicant View Post
          I have not tried to do this as I haven't encountered the particular issue, but what about putting the tutorial in multiple posts and using the merge posts function in the inline mod menu?
          Not sure if that will work but I will give it a try next time the tutorial won't fit.

I really couldn't believe when I was told that the text not even visible on the page would count toward the maximum characters. I think that's ridiculous.

We have a lot of long tutorials that take much use of the spoiler tag and it's a bit unreliable for this to occur.

I'll give your idea a try. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by TheXboxCloud View Post
            I really couldn't believe when I was told that the text not even visible on the page would count toward the maximum characters. I think that's ridiculous.
            Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. All the text in the spoiler is still inserted in the database with the rest of the post. Good luck.

Comment

Replicant is correct. The content of a post is just an entry in a database. The hidden text is there whether it's displayed or not.

It might be possible for someone with some coding skills to alter the relevant function so that the character count ignores any characters within the spoiler tags.
              Best place to ask about that would be vbulletin.org.
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Just so I know we are on the same page. Are you talking about actual post size as in maximum characters per post? I set my test site to one megabyte, (1048576) and successfully posted a full megabyte of raw text with 90 smileys. The rawtext column in the database is set "mediumtext" (16M), so the database is actually not the limitation. Did you adjust the maximum characters per post in Admincp >> Options >>Message Posting and Editing Options ?

Comment

The text of a post can have over 16 million characters. Your average novel is about 500,000 characters. So a post can be the equivalent of 32 novels.

However the length of the post is artificially limited in the Settings to 10,000 characters and 5 images (including smileys). You can adjust these under Settings -> Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options. I have my test server set to 150,000 characters and 100 images/videos per post.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I must apologize to those of you who assisted me with this. I will be honest with you, I had no idea you could set the maximum count past 10,000

I was under the impression that it could not go past this and therefore encountered my problem with the maximum characters. Yes Replicant, I was talking about the maximum characters per post and yes I also have found the "messaging posting and editing options" before I posted this.

Somehow I remembered setting it to the highest amount before making this post. I specifically recall going into settings and putting it to the highest before the problem occurred.

You all have been a big help. Thank you for giving me the tip I needed to set the count correctly.

+Likes given to all of you. Have a nice day!

Comment

There may be other server settings that limit this. Older MySQL installations may be limited to 1 Megabyte for the Max Packet Size. This would mean that your post has to be less than 1,000,000 characters. Newer installations have increased this to 8 Megabytes. PHP also has settings that can limit the maximum size that can be submitted. So if you're hitting an error, additional configuration may need to be performed.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X