Logging in my site error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging in my site error

I sign in as the admin on my site and this error comes up .I am unable to get in to my site.

Critical Error

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please check back in 24 hours.

www.untwistedvoice.com

Enable debug mode to see actual PHP error.

In root config (/config.php):

PHP Code:
    $config['debug'] = true

In core config (/core/includes/config.php):

PHP Code:
    $config['Misc']['debug'] = true

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

• jdj
      jdj commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this post. :-) It just helped me.

I cant do this kind of stuff,I don't know how
    www.untwistedvoice.com

Comment

I would strongly suggest you set up a test site then so you can try out this sort of stuff and feel confident enough to do it on a live site. This is a very important part of debugging. Without knowing the actual error the site is experiencing, it is impossible to guess what is going on and causing the problem.

Are you using a default style? Did you disable your plugins? Are all your vb files default?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
      vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
      Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
      If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
        I would strongly suggest you set up a test site then so you can try out this sort of stuff and feel confident enough to do it on a live site. This is a very important part of debugging. Without knowing the actual error the site is experiencing, it is impossible to guess what is going on and causing the problem.

Are you using a default style? Did you disable your plugins? Are all your vb files default?
        I'm currently experiencing a problem described as a 'Critical Error' and trying to get to the cause; when I look at these two config files they both say that debug mode should NEVER be used on a live site.

Comment

Debug mode is needed temporarily in order to esablish what the error is.

Believe it or not, the support team know the software inside out - if Lynne (or any of us) suggests doing something, then it needs to be done, otherwise we can't fix your problem.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• jdj
            jdj commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm just asking for clarification here: I have a support ticket in which hasn't been responded to yet. Nobody has looked at my problem as far as I know, or suggested I do anything.

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
          Debug mode is needed temporarily in order to esablish what the error is.

Believe it or not, the support team know the software inside out - if Lynne (or any of us) suggests doing something, then it needs to be done, otherwise we can't fix your problem.
          I have a support ticket in; I've just uploaded the config files with debug mode set to true.

Comment

Originally posted by jdj View Post

I have a support ticket in; I've just uploaded the config files with debug mode set to true.
            OK...with debug mode enabled I've now been able to access the upgrade script and run it. I'm guessing there's still a problem because I'm receiving error messages, but at least I no longer have a white screen. That comment, "...believe it or not, the support team know the software inside out..." could be read as sarcastic. For the benefit of people like me who haven't had the benefit of any formal training in the developer world, why does it say in the config files that debug mode should never be enabled on a live site. Is it a security risk? And why would it enable you to access the site if it was down?
            Last edited by jdj; Thu 26 Mar '15, 4:00pm.

Comment

Originally posted by jdj View Post
              For the benefit of people like me who haven't had the benefit of any formal training in the developer world, why does it say in the config files that debug mode should never be enabled on a live site. Is it a security risk? And why would it enable you to access the site if it was down?
              When debug mode is enabled, an error stack trace is displayed on the page. It usually displays the paths of the files that were executed or SQL queries that failed. While not a serious vulnerability, it might reveal information that helps attackers. For instance, it might reveal information about the code or software version. It might make it easier for attackers to try attacks and learn about how to tweak them to make them work. More info at http://security.stackexchange.com/a/4490

You would want to enable debug mode temporarily when you want to debug and find out the exact error you are having. You wouldn't know hot to fix or it would be hard to fix it if you don't know the exact error. Once you get the error, you need to disable debug mode right away.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

• jdj
                jdj commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Glen, really helpful. :-)