Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Today's Birthday" Module - how to remove the user's age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Today's Birthday" Module - how to remove the user's age?

When someone's birthday is announced via this module, I notice that the person's age is included in parentheses. Is it possible to turn this off globally? It's probably not something that they want to be announced...

Thx

There is a privacy setting in the User Settings > Profiles tab that the users can change to hide age. Or you can change it for them (one by one only?) in the user profile in AdminCP

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Thanks Glenn.... not sure if everyone would agree with me, but I'd have thought the reverse setting would be better (ie to have a default to hide the age of users). I like the idea of people entering their birthday upon registration so we know when users are celebrating birthdays, but revealing ages is another matter. I wish that there was an option just to ask for month and day of user's birthday upon registration, rather than the (more intrusive) year of birth.

In the meantime, I will go through the users myself one by one and change this setting *sigh*

Comment

You can file an improvement request to set the default privacy setting to "Display Only Day and Month of Birth"

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=4

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Who's making these decisions, most people do not want their age displayed.
          FIND ME ON
          AndyClift.com
          Etsy
          Facebook
          Google Plus
          Linkedin
          Twitter
          YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by claystation View Post
            Who's making these decisions, most people do not want their age displayed.
            This is not new. It is how the system has worked for over a decade. Default options on new installations are set so that birthday information isn't requested. The Admin of the site has to turn this on. Either by enabling COPPA (required for sites targeting children under 13), in the User Registration Options in the AdminCP, or setting the "Require Birthday" option to Yes, in the User Profile Options in the AdminCP. After entering a birthday users can control how it is displayed or hide it completely.

Creating an improvement request is the best option to have it changed for the future.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

While we don't normally recommend using queries to change information in the database, this is a relatively low risk operation. You can use the queries below to update users in bulk.

Hide Age & Date of Birth: UPDATE user SET showbirthday = 0
              Display Age: UPDATE user SET showbirthday = 1
              Display Age & Date of Birth: UPDATE user SET showbirthday = 2
              Display Day and Month Only: UPDATE user SET showbirthday = 3

Wayne Luke

Comment

Wayne Luke same issue here (the preference for all our members would be to display Day and Month only and NOT year (so, by default, NOT age). Everyone loved the idea of the birthday module as a way to further forge a feeling of community, but not its execution. I removed the birthday module within hours of it being added due to the number of member complaints, having to repeat instructions, etc.

Is there a way in vBCloud to update users in bulk? If there is an improvement request out there that needs support in terms of changing the system default to display day and month only, I have a feeling many would vote for this ... if they knew about it. I know I would.

Cheers! Lisa

Comment

You can put in a ticket and someone can update your system.

I've added a JIRA here: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-14615
                  Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 21st Apr '15, 9:07am.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Awesome, thanks, Wayne Luke

Comment

Also please consider to put your vote on the following JIRA for some improvements regarding the Today's Birthdays module (especially displaying usernames inline to save up some space):
                      http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-8000

Comment

Thanks, TLMD. Will do (yeah, just noticed that re member names just being listed and can see how that can be problematic)! Lisa

Comment

Where is the Today's Birthday feature?
                          Organizations must hire quality people — "If you hire stupid people, they are not going to get better over time," ~ Gordon Graham.

vB Mods That Rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NumNum View Post
                            Where is the Today's Birthday feature?
                            In Sitebuilder (toggle Edit Site ON/OFF). Click Edit Page where you want to add a Birthday module. Then you can drag that module from the list of modules onto the page.

Comment

I have just revisited this thread after starting to build a new VBulletin-based website. I appreciate the support shown by others who have commented. The core issue remains though:

(a) Birthday greetings and the "today's Birthdays" module are (to paraphrase Lisa0413 ) "A great idea as a way to further forge a feeling of community" and hence are highly desirable on the website; but
                              (b) In order to use this, member have to reveal their age! Our members simply do not want to reveal their age, but are more than happy to tell us their birthday (without the year)

So... can't we have a simple fix whereby we can have the option of only requesting day and month of birth without the year at registration time?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X