BETA 26 Extremely slooooooooow..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BETA 26 Extremely slooooooooow..

BETA 26 is extremely slow compared to v. 4.2.0.

Here's 2 forums. They are installed on the same server - in 2 different directories.
    They are using 2 databases on the same MySQL-server. The database used for v.5 is an upgraded copy of the one for v.4.2.0 - so they contains the same data.

4.2.0: http://webfora.dk/simsnet
    5.0 BETA 26: http://webfora.dk/simsnet5

The BETA26 site is so slow, that it's almost useless. What could be wrong?

- and antoher thing:

When I did the upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0 BETA 26, why didn't the installer take the database-parameters from the config.php-file in the <site>\includes folder, like it use to when upgrading?
    It made me fill in the values in the MakeConfig.php instead - and I now have 3 config.php's on the site:

<site>\config.php
    <site>\includes\config.php
    <site>\core\includes\config.php

Regards,

Lars Lautrup-Larsen.

How are your sites hosted? Share or dedicated? If shared, does your hosting company meet PHP and SQL version requirements for vB5?

Comment

Not vB's fault, that has to be your server.

I've tested both links, and both are slow. I'd suggest contacting your web host.
      The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaHawk5 View Post
        How are your sites hosted? Share or dedicated? If shared, does your hosting company meet PHP and SQL version requirements for vB5?
        Shared and ..hmmm.. Almost

Php: 5.3.19
        MySql: 5.1.49-log

Is it really the difference between MySQL 5.1.49 and 5.1.50, thats responsible for the site being 3-4 times slower than version 4.2 of vBulletin?

Rgds,

Lars.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by IcEWoLF View Post
        Not vB's fault, that has to be your server.
        I've tested both links, and both are slow. I'd suggest contacting your web host.
        I know they're both slow. Thats the reality of shared hosting, but vb5 is 3-4 times slower than 4.2.

Comment

There will be more improvements coming in the next betas regarding speed.

Comment

And there is no config.php file in includes directory. Only in /config.php & /core/includes/config.php.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

Slow would be an understatement :P
              Vb4 loaded in about 4-5 seconds, VB5 took about 27-30.

Comment

Originally posted by Deimos View Post
                Slow would be an understatement :P
                Vb4 loaded in about 4-5 seconds, VB5 took about 27-30.
                I loaded vB5 on his server in 15.97 seconds. 12 of those were waiting for the server to respond to the initial request.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  I loaded vB5 on his server in 15.97 seconds. 12 of those were waiting for the server to respond to the initial request.
                  It's the same server, that responds in 4-5 seconds on the vB4 site.What's the difference?

Comment

12 of those were waiting for the server to respond to the initial request.
                    Slow responses to requests could mean a lot of things. For instance, it could mean that it takes considerably more time to execute the PHP code.

I am curious... has IB done any profiling on vB5 to detect (unintentionally) slow PHP code/routines?

Comment

had the slow issue myself in beta26 seems beta27 is allot faster for some reason...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderT View Post
                        I am curious... has IB done any profiling on vB5 to detect (unintentionally) slow PHP code/routines?
                        We've been testing every beta on Siege and JMeter testing with 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, and 200 concurrent transactions at a time. We've been logging the minimum, average, and highest response times. We've been comparing them with vB 4.2.0. There is more work to be done.

In the meantime:

We've reconfigured the javascript and CSS to reduce requests. We've implemented caching of static content in the .htaccess file. We've beefed up caching and recommend Memcache. We've implemented storing template in the File System (a request for many years). We've implemented the option to store static content on the CDN of your choice (a request for many years). We've implemented guest page caching to reduce loads. Page loads have been reduced to less than a third of what they were in earlier betas. These have allowed our test installations to score in the 90% brackets for GTMetrix testing and Yslow.

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...equestId=11544

My guess is this site has a MySQL Implementation that isn't completely optimized and isn't implementing memcache or file system caching. With the load of 4.X and other possible sites on the server, it can make issues more apparent. However since we don't have access to the server, it is difficult to say.
                        Last edited by Wayne Luke; Tue 5 Feb '13, 9:14am.

Wayne Luke
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

We've been testing every beta on Siege and JMeter testing with 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, and 200 concurrent transactions at a time. We've been logging the minimum, average, and highest response times. We've been comparing them with vB 4.2.0. There is more work to be done.
                          Thanks Wayne. I wasn't referring to artificial stress testing. I was referring to profiling the PHP code to detect slow routines, slow regular expressions, etc. For starters, see here:

http://www.xdebug.org/docs/profiler

Comment

Originally posted by AlexanderT View Post
                            Thanks Wayne. I wasn't referring to artificial stress testing. I was referring to profiling the PHP code to detect slow routines, slow regular expressions, etc. For starters, see here:

http://www.xdebug.org/docs/profiler
                            That is part of stress testing though. When a page under performs, you look at the underlying code to find out why. The developers are running constant unit tests and frequently looking at those functions. I know the developers and some QA people also use xdebug but not sure what the total extent is. It is just one tool though.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

xdebug is used too, some improvements were made based on this tool.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment