Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error while saving content: SyntaxError: Invalid character

Hi everyone,

When i am trying to create new Thread this error occur.. but the thead would be created and listed when i check the thread list in the forum.

Error
    Error while saving content: SyntaxError: Invalid character

Any help?!

Note:
    config.php is uploaded as Ascii

Thank You
    Last edited by albarq; Sat 19 Jan '13, 5:25pm.

What is in your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host)?

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade?

If an upgrade, do you have the same problem with a fresh install?

Did you edit the config.php file using a plain text editor (like notepad++) and make sure it wasn't saved "with BOM" and did you make sure you didn't add an extra space at the very beginning of the file?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

What is in your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host)?
      the file is not showing any thing related to vbulletin

Is this a fresh install or an upgrade?
      Upgrade

If an upgrade, do you have the same problem with a fresh install?
      No, it is working fine with fresh install

Did you edit the config.php file using a plain text editor (like notepad++) and make sure it wasn't saved "with BOM" and did you make sure you didn't add an extra space at the very beginning of the file?
      I am using dreamweaver to edit the config file, I don't think there is any problem related to config.php because when i edit this config file to shift between fresh installed DB & upgraded db; it works fine with "Fresh install" and not okay with "Upgrade"

What do you recommened? the problem did not occur after posting immediately, it takes long time until been shown. see attachments please

- - - Updated - - -

Any news!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by albarq; Mon 21 Jan '13, 3:02pm.

Comment

Originally posted by albarq View Post
        What do you recommened?
        We don't recommend using Dreamweaver as it can apply unintended affects when saving files. Especially if it saves as UTF-8. We recommend using a standard text editor like Notepad++
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I used notepad++ this time as editor and FileZilla as FTP client .. but the problem remain..

How can we fix this issue?

Comment

What is the content that you're trying to add?

Wayne Luke

Comment

Do you mean the one showing in picture? this is just a random content to make sure it is not a Unicode issue.

The error occur when submitting new Topic/post, whatever content i am trying to send.

If i am using admin account, it will show the error as showing in the title, but the topic would be added if i do refresh to the thread list in the fourm.
              On the other hand, if i am using any normal account, it will not be added at all and the error would be shown as the picture.

Thank you
              Last edited by albarq; Wed 23 Jan '13, 3:45pm.

Comment

Yes, I mean the exact text that triggered the error? Should be able to just copy and paste it in a reply here.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Any thing written will show the error!

"Test"

Would show the error!

What is your next question?!

Comment

What version of PHP and MySQL? Do you have mod_security or suhosin enabled? Please disable them.

When you went and used Notepad++ to edit the config.php file, did you create a new config.php file or just edit the existing one? Please create a new one using Notepad++

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

PHP Version 5.3.20
                      mysql: 5.1.66
                      mod_security or suhosin: are disabled
                      config.php: is a new file and all data been entered from scratch using Notpad++.

Just to help you understand the issue instead of asking me all these questions:
                      I can edit same config.php to point between two database: database with fresh vb installation and upgraded vb database,

when i point to the new vb installation it will working fine !!
                      when i point to upgraded database it will show this error, so i think the problem occur with upgrading process!

Thank you

Comment

Make sure the language is set to ISO-8859-1. We don't currently support UTF-8 in vBulletin. Hopefully this will be changing in the future.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Now the problem been solved! the language was set to windows-1256

but when will you support UTF-8?

Comment

We've never supported UTF-8 in the software. However we hope to provide UTF-8 support when we work in the Localization features immediately after the gold release. I don't have a specific date though.

Wayne Luke

Comment