X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tagging

What is the best way to go about this?

Not sure what you mean;

Thread tags are a built in feature of vB5.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Sorry, not clear was it.

I have never tagged anything, I am unaware of what the purpose is.
      I know that tagging is built into VB 5, the question I am asking is, how best to utilize this function?

It must be subject or topic related but isn't the information already included in the thread/post?
      When I tag something, isn't this just repeating information that is already input?

Hope that is clearer....

Thank you.....

Comment

Well there are a number of purposes behind tagging.
        One of which is that you can easily search by tag, this will bring up any threads tagged with that word or phrase.
        Another is that Google seems to pick up tags very nicely.....I am often told this no longer applies but I disagree, Google picks up new threads on my site much faster when they are tagged, than if they are not.

As for utilising it - it depends on your members. Will they tag threads themselves? I find mine won't, so I installed an auto-tagger mod that creates tags based on the thread title.
        That's for vB4 though, not sure if anything's been written for vB5 yet, though I'm sure someone will write one eventually.

Comment

Thread tagging is a system that allows user to apply their own keywords (tags) to threads. See Wikipedia for more information on the ideas behind tagging. This can allow users to categorize threads based on the actual content. As such, if used consistently, could be a better way to find a specific topic than a full-text search.

more information : http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/thread_tagging

Former vBulletin Support Staff
          Need Help?, Or P.M. Me

Comment

Ok, got something from that, I believe it is for the user only, it is up to the user to tag or not.
            So we can't rely on the user to tag and that doesn't help Google. The auto tag mod sounds like a good idea, I just wonder why it wasn't built in. Anyway, can't think of everything.

Is there a way that administrators can tag posts manually? Or am I over stressing the usage of tagging?

Thanks again.....

Comment

Originally posted by DemOnstar View Post
              Ok, got something from that, I believe it is for the user only, it is up to the user to tag or not.
              So we can't rely on the user to tag and that doesn't help Google. The auto tag mod sounds like a good idea, I just wonder why it wasn't built in. Anyway, can't think of everything.

Is there a way that administrators can tag posts manually? Or am I over stressing the usage of tagging?

Thanks again.....
              Yes admins can manually add tags if they wish.

Comment

Wow! These responses are coming thick and fast.

Which leads to another concern. Why does the all new, most powerful forum software not have a live chat module?

Seems like an obvious omission but I guess that is a thread by itself.

Thanks again...
                Last edited by DemOnstar; Sat 19 Jan '13, 3:39am.

Comment

Wow! These responses are coming thick and fast.

Which leads to another concern. Why does the all new, most powerful forum software not have a live chat module?

Seems like an obvious omission but I guess that is a thread by itself.

Thanks again...
                  Because it's forum software, and forums generally don't want or need chat modules. The purpose of a forum is to have active discussions in discussion topics, chat modules would detract from that.

Comment

I can see my thoughts differ on this subject.

Thanks for highlighting that.

Comment

First, chatting is expensive server resource wise. Most shared hosting providers ban chatting software within their acceptable use policy.

Second, there are dedicated applications for this that can easily be tied into forum systems. Lets you offload the resources and still get the functionality.

Third, most people actually chat via messenger applications like the ones Microsoft, Google, AOL, Yahoo and Facebook Provide.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Ok, clear on this one for now. Thanks all.

Comment