Empty Response error message on edit Private Message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty Response error message on edit Private Message

I've searched and found several references to this but no fix for the issue. One said upgrading to 5.1.3 fixes the problem. I started on 5.1.3 .Does anyone know what causes this issue or where to look? It happened intermittently up until the last week according to my users. Now, it's every single PM. I get the empty response error, but the message still goes through. The page does not refresh after sending the message.

Can you give more details of the issue? You cannot edit private messages like you can in forum posts.

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

I guess edit was the wrong word, I meant compose. When I hit send,I get empty response but the message goes through. Then I have to refresh the page to clear the editor.

Comment

Is it this bug? VBV-11007

Comment

• Replicant
          Replicant commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have to say no. This bug looks like a mobile bug and the description doesn't match the issue I'm having. My issue is now with all PM's by any user, the error pops up regardless of browser, mobile or otherwise.

I have gotton nowhere on this issue, there is no debug info passed to firebug when the error is spawned. Maybe a little nudge in what direction to go with this? Maybe I should shut down the PM system. That would be a good workaround.

Comment

It sounds like the error is from an AJAX request. As far as I know, sending PM does not use AJAX to submit the form like what it does when posting in forums. It uses traditional form submission. Can you make a video screencast (using Jing or similar tools) of how the issue occurs?

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

The only ajax request there is in the debug info is searching for the usernames while typing in the recipient and that works. I tried making a video of it but even though the error message is on the screen, the dialog doesn't show in the video recording. When I have firebug running and open up messages, all the GETS are there. When I send the message, there is no POST that shows in firebug. Nothing in the debug info at the bottom of the page. No evidence of an error anywhere. No logged errors.

Comment

Is there anything in your error_logs (if you don't know where they are, ask your host) when this happens?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

No, nothing in the error logs.
                Last edited by Replicant; Sat 15 Nov '14, 8:27am.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicant View Post
                  When I send the message, there is no POST that shows in firebug.
                  That's because the page has reloaded after submitting the form. All network logs in the debugger reset when page is reloaded unless you select Preserve Logs or Persist option

Comment

Normally that is the case. As soon as I hit post/send, the dialog appears. No refresh. All the info is still in the debugger. I click ok on the dialog, then physically have to reload the page with either refresh or back button to leave the page. Even the text is still in the editor. It's weird.

Comment

5.1.4 is coming very shortly, I would suggest in the first instance upgrade to that when it comes out.
                      If the problem still persists, I think we'll need a support ticket so we can have a closer look.
                      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I tried 5.1.4b on my test server and the problem still remains the same, along with the upgrade stuck on step 19 @97%.

Comment

If the upgrade is stuck it hasn't completed.
                          Regardless of that....the next step is to create a completely default style and view the site in that. Once you have the site in the new style, clear cache, cookies, and restart the browser.
                          Then try to send a PM again and see if you still have the same problem.
                          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
                          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Is there an install log that records where the install is stuck. I know stuck means not finished. But 2 hours? It was stcuck on processing xml. When I did the upgrade to 5.1.3 pl1 last weekend it was literally less than a miniute. I hit the back button to get out. The system still worked. I'd just like to know where it's hanging so I can fix it before the real upgrade.

Comment