How do you change order of blogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you change order of blogs

I have a few issues with the blogs on my live site. I understand how to edit the page in site builder and I can see how you add the blogs, edit the blogs, change the order of the default tabs etc.

On my live site the member blogs aren't showing in the order of the date in which they were posted; how and where do I change that? Set the settings so that newest blogs are displayed first?

Also, in the 'blog posts' tab some of my user's blogs are showing with the wrong date. The forum itself has the correct date in forum settings but some of the blogs that have already been posted say they were posted in 2015. How and where do I change those settings?

I've just realised why the blog member posts appear to be in the wrong order on the member posts tab.

Since the upgrade last week from vB4, one of our members who blogs regularly now has publishing dates on her blogs which are way off in the future; the last three for example say 06-04-2015, 23-03 2015, 09-03-2015. As it's now November 2014 and none of our members have mastered the art of time travel this clearly is wrong. The time intervals between the blogs look right so it looks as though something is pushing the date of this person's blogs forward. This means that no other member's blog is visible as this member is always months ahead in the queue, even with her old blogs.

I've looked at this user's member profile and there's nothing wrong with her date settings. I've gone into Channel Manager and since the upgrade all the individual blogs seem to be shown as individual 'channels'. I've gone into this members 'blog channel' and looked for a setting but I cannot see where to change it.

Where and how do I edit this?
    Last edited by jdj; Wed 5th Nov '14, 7:49am.

Comment

Looking at this member's blog again the last blog is dated 06-04-2015. Clicking on her user icon this says 'last activity 16-09-2014'. That's probably about right; so the system isn't correctly displaying the date of this member's contributions even though it's probably got the correct date stored somewhere.

How and where do I change this?

Comment

I haven't investigated this, but if I were having this issue, I'd check the publishdate column in the node table. It could be a simple update query on that particular nodeid. The date entry is in seconds. IE: todays date right now is 1415204256

Comment

• jdj
          jdj commented
          Editing a comment
          I've not got anything back from technical support on this. Do you know specifically where the record is? Which table contains the record to be edited. I'm guessing that the date entry will be in seconds Unix time but that can be converted in Excel so I ought to manage that.

Originally posted by Replicant View Post
        I haven't investigated this, but if I were having this issue, I'd check the publishdate column in the node table. It could be a simple update query on that particular nodeid. The date entry is in seconds. IE: todays date right now is 1415204256
        Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure about this though. One of the reasons it's been brought to my attention is that two people posted blogs yesterday and of course their blogs don't appear unless you hit 'show more'...so they are in effect invisible. When you get to these two recent blogs the system says in the published date "Yesterday" with the time. So the system knows what day today is, it knows what day yesterday is, but it's displaying a list of blogs that were apparently posted way off in the future....you'd have thought that if there was an incorrect date recorded against these blogs it wouldn't post them until that day was reached. I suspect there's a bug here somewhere although what it is I don't know. I've put a support ticket in.

Comment

vBulletin gets all time from the server's OS. If posts are in the future, the server OS time is off.

As far as I am aware, there is no way to reorder them in vBulletin 5.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            vBulletin gets all time from the server's OS. If posts are in the future, the server OS time is off.

As far as I am aware, there is no way to reorder them in vBulletin 5.
            I got this response from the support ticket.

"vBulletin gets all time from the server's OS. If posts are in the future, the server OS time was wrong at the time the post was made.

You could find the post in the node table and update the timestamp using a Unix timestamp generator, however we can't really support this. It is probably easier to delete the post and ask the user to post it again.

If you do edit the database, back it up fully first."

So basically that's a refusal to provide technical support even though I'm paying for it. However, the problem here is NOT that the server OS time was wrong at the time the post was made. All these posts were made when I was running vB4; I only upgraded the live site to vB5 last week. The dates and times on all this users' posts were correct until the date of the upgrade and it only affected one user as far as I can tell. All the other blogs around about the same time were unaffected - so the server OS time was not wrong and in vB4 it was all running just fine.

In fact, if I go to the users' profile the profile page shows what looks about right for the last activity (a date in the past around about the time when the post was made). For some reason the user profile does not show the date of the last post even though it does show last activity.

So there is something about the upgrade from vB4 to vB5 that has corrupted the database. It's not the server time.

Comment

We have never recommended changing the database directly. The software doesn't have the capability of editing the timestamps from when it was created. Support doesn't mean you will always get the answer you want nor does it mean we can solve every single problem. We try our best though.

Even if something happened during the upgrade, you only have two course of action... follow the advice given in the ticket or restore your backup from before the upgrade and run the upgrade again. Timestamps are timestamps though. The number of seconds doesn't change when you copy it from one field to another. If the new import has the same issue, we would need a JIRA along with a copy of the original database to try and determine what the issue is.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                Timestamps are timestamps though. The number of seconds doesn't change when you copy it from one field to another.
                I'm sorry...are you saying that even if I access the records in MySQL it's not possible to change the date of one of the records? Surely that can't be right? It's also not consistent with what the response to the support ticket said.

I'm presently in there now trying to identify where the individual records are. Unfortunately if I roll back I lose all the contributions since I upgraded last Thursday and that's going to p*ss off a lot of people.

Comment

I am saying we don't recommend changing the records. However it is your database and you can do whatever you want regardless of our advice. Please make a backup before making any changes because if you break something in the database, we can't help you fix it. You'll need to restore the backup.

Everything is stored in the node table.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by jdj View Post

If posts are in the future, the server OS time was wrong at the time the post was made.
                    Just heard back from my ISP on dates. This is a fully managed server, date is correct today and all servers are synchronised with a NTP server. So it wasn't the server.

Comment

It is the only place time is received from. Even synched servers can have glitches. However there is no going back and fixing the past. You can manually update the records that match the node IDs for the entries or you can delete the entries and re-enter them with a proper time and date stamp. Those are the only options at this point.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Just heard back from my ISP on dates. This is a fully managed server, date is correct today and all servers are synchronised with a NTP server. So it wasn't the server.
                        I just discovered what the real problem was; there's a feature missing in vBulletin 5.

Comment

I just discovered what the real problem was; there's a feature missing in vBulletin 5.

Always easier to solve issues when the information needed is provided. A lot of that thread is new information you didn't provide before.

Wayne Luke

Comment

• jdj
                            jdj commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I didn't provide it because I didn't know it; the problem was a missing feature that I was unaware of. It only became obvious when I was able to identify where in the database the blog records were kept so that I could download the table and convert the dates. I put in a support ticket not knowing what the problem was and got the response that I would have to make database changes (and vBulletin don't support that) and my only option was to go back to my backup database and upgrade again. If I'd done that I'd have lost all the content since the upgrade and it wouldn't have made any difference because the result would have been the same.