Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get rid of the "/forum/forum/" when VB5 is installed in a sub directory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of the "/forum/forum/" when VB5 is installed in a sub directory?

Just installed VB5 under a folder called "forum"

Would like the "Main Forum" to exist at "domain.com/forum/main-forum" instead of "domain.com/forum/forum/main-forum"

What's the easiest way to do this?

I want the functionality to remain the same, so that when a user clicks on "Directory" they still see the Main Forum. Seems to be a problem between parent channels and site layout. Please advise.

The first '/forum/' is the directory where you uploaded your files.

The second '/forum'/ is internal and can't be removed. If you remove the corresponding data in the database, all your installation will be broken.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

Ok. What would you recommend I do if I wanted the forum URLs to appear without the first mentioning of "forum". I'd have to upload/install the forum in the root directory of my site, correct?

My issue with that is I already have a functioning website at the root level, so I don't want vBulletin to override those files and appear as if the website is just a VB5 default install... That's why I created a folder called "forum", but from an SEO perspective I'd like to minimize redundancy and get rid of the extra "forum" in the URLs, so I'm just trying to figure out the best course of action in order to achieve this result.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Put the files in some directory not called /forum. If you put them in a directory called /this, then the URL would be site.com/this/forum/main-forum

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Yes, I'm aware of that. So, for everyone who is installing VB5 into a sub directory called "forum", which is what I assume the majority of people would choose to name their forum folder as, they all have this issue as well?

Do you by chance have any example websites using VB5, and better yet, any examples using VB5 in a sub directory?

I'm just trying to figure out the best approach for my website. If there is no way around this then I'll probably just call it something else.

Thank you for your feedback everyone!
          Last edited by jsherloc; Sun 30th Sep '12, 6:59pm.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are looking for. There is www.vbtest.net/area52/ which is a beta test site owned by a beta tester.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thank you for the example website, I appreciate it.

My main concern was that, SEO-wise, I would prefer there not be a repeat of "forum" in the URL, while also still being able to install VB5 to /forum of my website. I can find a simple solution though just by calling the install directory something else.

Thank you again for your help!
              Last edited by jsherloc; Mon 1st Oct '12, 10:44am.

Comment