Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sphinx Error - Please help

Hello,

I just got our server provider to install Sphinx on the server, as per the instructions file in the 5.1.2 release.
    So that is now installed, and I went to go through the process of setting up the vBulletin side of things, and got stuck.

[email protected]xx.xxxxxxx.org [~]# which php
    /usr/local/bin/php
    [email protected] [~]# chmod +x /usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php
    [email protected] [~]# cd /usr/local/sphinx
    [email protected] [sphinx]# /usr/local/sphinx/bin/searchd --config /usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php
    Sphinx 2.1.9-id64-release (rel21-r4761)
    Copyright (c) 2001-2014, Andrew Aksyonoff
    Copyright (c) 2008-2014, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)

using config file '/usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php'...
    ERROR: error executing '/usr/local/bin/php -q' status = 255 in /usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php line 1 col 1.
    FATAL: failed to parse config file '/usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php'
    So I did the 'which php' to get the php path, so the default path in the vbulletin-sphinx.php file was correct.
    I also updated the path to the forum root, which in my case is /home/admin4d/public_html
    assuming that is to where the forum folder is located, which contains the forum files...

So I get that error above.
    Can someone please assist?
    James

Googling, said the error 255 was reserved and to try a -d display_errors = on

so I edited that in, and tried again:

[email protected] [sphinx]# /usr/local/sphinx/bin/searchd --config /usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php
    Sphinx 2.1.9-id64-release (rel21-r4761)
    Copyright (c) 2001-2014, Andrew Aksyonoff
    Copyright (c) 2008-2014, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)

using config file '/usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php'...
    PHP: syntax error, unexpected TC_STRING in Unknown on line 7
    PHP: syntax error, unexpected TC_STRING in Unknown on line 7
    ERROR: error executing '/usr/local/bin/php -d display_errors=on -q' status = 255 in /usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php line 1 col 1.
    FATAL: failed to parse config file '/usr/local/sphinx/etc/vbulletin-sphinx.php'
    James

Comment

Line 7 in the vbulletin-sphinx.php is a comment.
      I removed it, and got the exact same error.

I starting googling and I found this

https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=53034

Any ideas?
      James

Comment

PHP version from vbulletin cpanel is 5.3.26
        James

Comment

doing php --help
          I dont see any listing for php -q

Im stuck.
          James

Comment

Looks like the problem was the absolute path name.
            Very confusing wording. I suggest this is changed.

Set $myforumroot to the absolute path to your forum directory.
            Example: $myforumroot = '/home/username/public_html';

in my case, it is /home/username/public_html/forum

Absolute path TO your forum directory. Maybe just me, but that was not obvious as to what it wanted.
            James

Comment

Do you still just do the normal re-indexing from the Maintenance menu for Sphinx, or is there another method?
              I cannot find anything written about it so far, and the normal indexing takes just as long as the old one did... which is telling me it is not using sphinx...?
              Yes I had selected to use Sphinx first.
              James

Comment

As I recall, the instructions are pretty poor.

We use sphinx here (2.1.5) and I basically ignored the instructions and devised my own method.

For the indexing, you use the sphinx indexer, which builds the "disk" indexes, then you run some code to create and link the RT indexes that vbulletin uses.

I honestly cannot remember how you are supposed to do that properly, I think its the searchindex.php in the extras folder.
                Baby, I was born this way

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Ok, Sadly ill have to wait for more information as I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.

I was following instructions that came with 5.1.2 Release, and they were so vague that I had to get Host Gator to install the Sphinx itself as it had dependences I had no idea where to get or how to get, or even how to install. Once that was solved, I did the Vbulletin side of things relatively OK, but when you get to the end it just says to select Sphinx from cPanel and thats it. Nothing at all about how to index or re-index, or anything else that could possibly need doing.

Leaves people like me completely in the dark, as this is not something I completely understand - just fumbling my way through it as best I can.

Regards
                  James

Comment

Please open a support ticket, they should be able to assist you.
                    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

OK done, thanks

Ticket: 1279073
                      James

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X