Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which setting gets vb5 to display full screen on PC or Mac desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which setting gets vb5 to display full screen on PC or Mac desktop?

I have vB4 on my live site, vB5 on my test site: If I view vB4 on our PC or Mac it automatically resizes to use the whole width of the screen. If I go to our test site running vB5, whether on a PC or Mac, it only displays using 50% of the available screen width making the vB5 installation harder to read than the vB4 installation. vBulletin.com displays the same way. It doesn't matter whether I choose IE, Firefox or Safari.

Which setting do I change on my vB5 test installation to get the software to automatically display full screen rather than having all that redundant grey space on either side?

Style variables to control the width of the content area are being added in 5.1.3. Currently the site width for desktop browsers is hard coded in the CSS.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      Style variables to control the width of the content area are being added in 5.1.3. Currently the site width for desktop browsers is hard coded in the CSS.
      So if I understand that correctly (because it's not explicit) stylevars to control the width of the content area on Mac or PC (desktop) will be added in 5.1.3 at which point the screen will automatically resize in the same way that vB4 presently does.

So when is 5.1.3 coming along?

Comment

Right now, you have to do some manual css overrides to get it working the way you want. in 5.1.3 (which is currently in QA) it will be a setting, like it was in vBulletin 4.

Comment

• jdj
          jdj commented
          Editing a comment
          So if it's currently in QA would it be fair to say that's likely to be weeks before the feature comes along? Rather than months?

• Zachery
          Zachery commented
          Editing a comment
          There is a stabilization period, while QA does there thing. Right now 5.1.3 is code frozen AFAIK, aside from MAJOR regressions and or issues with testing.

In the meantime, adding this to the template css_additional.css should give you a full width site:

Code:
        #wrapper { max-width: none; }
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

If you can't wait for 5.1.3, you can easily fix it by adding this in css_additional.css template:

Code:
          #wrapper {
              max-width: none;
          }

GIPHY for vB5 AutoLinker Auto-Create Flag Report Topic Social Icons in Postbit Clear Cache Cron DragDrop Upload Topic AJAX AutoUpdate Custom Avatars Selector Stop Links in Posts...and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara View Post
            If you can't wait for 5.1.3, you can easily fix it by adding this in css_additional.css template:

Code:
            #wrapper {
            max-width: none;
            }
            Ninja'd you there Glenn.

Comment

• Glenn Vergara
              Glenn Vergara commented
              Editing a comment
              You beat me to the punch

I'm playing around with this. Rather than removing the maximum width setting how can I change the current maximum width setting?

I'm guessing if I use # wrapper {max-width:none;} in css_additional.css template but replace the "none" with something then that would work? If so what's the current max width setting and what do I replace "none" with?

PS: It's for desktop browsers that I'm interested (both Mac and PC).

Comment

Yes just replace none with an actual max-width value.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                Yes just replace none with an actual max-width value.
                So specifically is that just e.g. 100 or 100px?

And what's the current default max width? If you tell me what the precise code of the current setting is I can just edit that.

Comment

These are the default settings. However you should not edit this, rather, override it using css_additional.css as described above.
                  Code:
                    #wrapper {
                        max-width: 1200px;
                        min-width: 320px;
                        width: 100%;
                    }

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    5.1.3 is out and I've upgraded to it: Where are these settings? Are they in admincp, vbulletin options or somewhere else?

PS: If they are in the stylevar system, which stylevar is it?

Comment

All style variables are part of the stylevar system. The variables in question control the wrapper width and are named wrapper_min_width, wrapper_max_width, and wrapper_width.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

• jdj
                        jdj commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, this saves me time looking. For the benefit of anybody else that's looking these are under admincp, stylemanager, select "go" next to the style you want with "Style Variable Editor" showing in the drop down box. These three stylevars are under the heading "global".