Allow unregistered users to view my forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allow unregistered users to view my forum

My forum used to be closed for unregistered users, but now I want to allow them to view and search topics. I've changed the usergroup settings to allow unregistered users to have the following rights:
    Can View Channels Yes
    Can View Topic Content Yes
    Can View Others' Topics Yes
    Can Join Channels Yes

There are no special permissions for unregistered users on the main- and subcategories of the forum. However, when I test what's visible to unregistered users by logging out, I don't see any content. All that's visible is a message asking visitors to log in.

In debug mode, the following message is displayed:
    Code:
    The module cannot be displayed. Please log in or contact the community administrator and report the problem. Template: widget_activitystream => display_Forums_tab => display_Forums => display_Forums_list => display_Forums_item Controller: user Method: fetchProfileInfo Arguments: Array ( [0] => 0 ) Errors:  
     Array (     [0] => Array         (             [0] => incorrect_data         )      [1] => Array         (             [0] => exception_trace             [1] => #0 [internal function]: vB_Api_User->fetchProfileInfo('0') #1 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/core/vb/api/wrapper.php(122): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #2 [internal function]: vB_Api_Wrapper->__call('fetchProfileInf...', Array) #3 [internal function]: vB_Api_Wrapper->fetchProfileInfo('0') #4 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/api/interface/collapsed.php(87): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #5 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template/runtime.php(491): Api_Interface_Collapsed->callApi('user', 'fetchProfileInf...', Array, false, true) #6 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template.php(276) : eval()'d code(23): vB5_Template_Runtime::parseData('user', 'fetchProfileInf...', '0') #7 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template.php(276): eval() #8 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template/cache.php(163): vB5_Template->render(false) #9 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template.php(299): vB5_Template_Cache->replacePlaceholders('???????????????...') #10 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template/cache.php(163): vB5_Template->render(false) #11 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template.php(299): vB5_Template_Cache->replacePlaceholders('<table class="f...') #12 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template/cache.php(163): vB5_Template->render(false) #13 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template.php(299): vB5_Template_Cache->replacePlaceholders('???????????????...') #14 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template/cache.php(163): vB5_Template->render(false) #15 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template.php(299): vB5_Template_Cache->replacePlaceholders('???????????????...') #16 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template/cache.php(163): vB5_Template->render(false) #17 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/template.php(299): vB5_Template_Cache->replacePlaceholders('<meta http-equi...') #18 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/includes/vb5/frontend/controller/page.php(225): vB5_Template->render() #19 [internal function]: vB5_Frontend_Controller_Page->index('1', '4', '1', 'Home Descriptio...', 1, '/external?type=...', 'Home', 1) #20 /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/index.php(72): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #21 {main}         )      [2] => Array         (             [0] => errormsg             [1] => Error <b>API Error</b><br><b>Error:</b> incorrect_data<br> occurred in file /var/www/releases/vbulletin/201405221336/core/vb/api/user.php on line 74         )  )
    What can I do to fix this?

In the Admin CP go to Usergroups -> Channel Permissions -> Home. Revert the changes for the Unregistered / Not Logged In usergroup.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      In the Admin CP go to Usergroups -> Channel Permissions -> Home. Revert the changes for the Unregistered / Not Logged In usergroup.
      Originally posted by bw_van_manen View Post
      There are no special permissions for unregistered users on the main- and subcategories of the forum. ...
      There are no changes for Unregistered / Not logged in that I can revert. The channel permissions for this usergroup are the same as I mentioned in the first post.

Comment

It looks like the 'Latest activity' module can't be displayed when I'm logged out. I can't find any settings that limit the use of this widget to specific user groups, are there any? If not, is there a way to reset the 'Latest activity' module? I don't see it in the list of modules that I can add with the 'edit page' function, so I'm hesitant to try and remove it and put it back.

Comment

We disabled all changes we made to vBulletin and the login system to investigate this issue. After disabling this, the error message still occurs. No overview pages (thread list, home page) can be opened, but individual threads are accessible for users that are not logged in.

As the issue does not occur in a clean install of vBulletin 5.0.5, we assume the issue is caused by the upgrade from vB 3 to vB 5. Is there any way to verify and repair this on a database level? Is there a setting in a vB 3 table that can cause this error message?

Comment

You should upgrade to 5.1.2.

5.0.5 is an old version with many bugs that have since been fixed.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Oops, I made an error in my post.

The error message occurs in vB 5.1.1, which we are testing now but has not been implemented due to this and other errors. The production environment is still running on 5.0.5, but without the changes to the unregistered users, so also without this bug.

So, the bug (also) occurs in 5.1.1.

Comment

Ok....but please still upgrade the test environment to 5.1.2. There are bugs fixed with every release, so we can't easily troubleshoot this until you're on the latest version.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.2 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

It is hard for us to keep updating our test environment if we find new bugs each time we update. Also, if we update the test environment with each small upgrade, we must also do this on the production environment because otherwise they are no longer similar.

Is there any reason for you to assume that this might be fixed between 5.1.1 and 5.1.2 ? I don't see anything related in the list of fixed issues. It would be a pitty if I spend a lot of time updating with no result to show for it.

Is there no information in the error message that gives you any indication on where we can look to find the cause of this?

Comment

If you do not have Channel level permissions controlling what can be viewed, reverting the Unregistered User Group as stated above should solve your issue. Go to your Admin CP, Usergroups, Usergroup Manager and click the Go button to the far right of the Unregistered/Not Logged In group. Then scroll to the very bottom and click the Revert button.

And, while you are at it, verify that your Channels are all set to Defaults by going to Channel Management, Channel Permissions. Any section of your forum that does not display in black print has a customized setting that will override the Usergroup setting.

Hopefully that will fix what is blocking Unregistered individuals from viewing your forum.

Comment

I've reverted the usergroup settings by opening the usergroup and clicing on Reset and Update. The problem still occurs.

The channel permissions for the Unregistered users group are set to default for all channels that should be visible. Some channels are visible only to a specific usergroup, so these can't be visible to unregistered users.

Comment