I'm very confused by reputation and likes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very confused by reputation and likes

I'm trying to figure out how the reputation system works. I understand the concept of reputation power, and that I have the ability to change those settings in the AdminCP, but I can't figure out how people gain actual reputation points. Is it related to the post likes system? How many likes are required to get a reputation point etc? Do other things (number of posts etc) also have an impact? There seems to be no information about this anywhere that I can find.

Thanks.

I'm curious too! But I think the reputation doesn't work yet in vB5 (it isn't finished).

Comment

Reputation has been renamed to Likes in vB5, however there are still a lot of references to reputation, mostly in the Admincp. It should all be Likes now.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

So find Reputation in phrases and replace it with Like(s).

Comment

Originally posted by GuiltyNL View Post
          So find Reputation in phrases and replace it with Like(s).
          There's a little bit more to it than that, but yes it does need doing.

There's a tracker request to have it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post

There's a little bit more to it than that, but yes it does need doing.

There's a tracker request to have it done.

I'm still confused.
            For instance, how many Likes are required to add an orange block to the reputation bar? Or are the reputation bars now defunct and should I hide them?

Comment

The reputation bar is still current and functional....it increases in line with the reputation levels, just like it did in vB3 and vB4. You can define these in the admincp. The only real difference is that rather than 'giving reputation' you now 'give a like'. Think of 'giving a like' as being the same as the old giving of reputation, except without the ability to leave a comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                The reputation bar is still current and functional....it increases in line with the reputation levels, just like it did in vB3 and vB4. You can define these in the admincp. The only real difference is that rather than 'giving reputation' you now 'give a like'. Think of 'giving a like' as being the same as the old giving of reputation, except without the ability to leave a comment.
                So does giving a like increase the reputation level automatically? Does 1 like = 1 reputation point?

Comment

AFAIK, the reputation system as it used to work like this:

1 green pip was 100 rep
                  1 light green pip was 200 rep
                  grey pips =0 reputation
                  1 light red pip -100 rep
                  1 dark red pip -200 rep

It had nothing to do with reputation levels. I'm not sure how that's changed now as I don't have the code that controls it infront of me.

As far as points, the amount of reputation one receives is still correctly calculated by the User Reputation Options

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                    AFAIK, the reputation system as it used to work like this:

1 green pip was 100 rep
                    1 light green pip was 200 rep
                    grey pips =0 reputation
                    1 light red pip -100 rep
                    1 dark red pip -200 rep

It had nothing to do with reputation levels. I'm not sure how that's changed now as I don't have the code that controls it infront of me.

As far as points, the amount of reputation one receives is still correctly calculated by the User Reputation Options
                    I wonder if we are even talking about the same thing. I'm talking about these orange pips beneath your name. In our current vB5 install, how do those work. How would someone go from all grey to one orange, for instance? I know I can manually control it in the AdminCP, but I does it relate to likes? And if so, how?

Thanks for your help here – apologies for my confusion.

Comment

Reputation is the accumulation of Likes in vBulletin 5. The more people that Like your content, the higher your reputation based on the settings in the AdminCP.

The orange pips used to be green older versions and are used to show reputation in the user's information.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Reputation is the accumulation of Likes in vBulletin 5. The more people that Like your content, the higher your reputation based on the settings in the AdminCP.

The orange pips used to be green older versions and are used to show reputation in the user's information.
                        Brilliant! Question answered. Thanks.

You don't happen to know how many likes it takes to gain 1 rep point based on the default settings do you? (i.e. a reputation power of 10 for a Registered User)

Comment