Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usergroup Manager - says it saved successfully. Didn't save

Using VB 5.1 Alpha

In Admin CP in Post/Topic Permissions, the usergroup "Registered Users" under Post/Topic Permissions "Can Reply to Own Topics" and "Can Reply to Others' Topics" is turned off. I try to switch it to "yes" but it won't save.

It says "settings saved successfully" then it shoots to an error page:

"Invalid Page URL. If this is an error and the page should exist, please contact the system administrator and tell them how you got this message."

This is quite urgent, since you can't have a forum without replies

I tested some parts of this and it looks like just two options won't save. The above two I noted I can't save at "yes". But other options I tried changing and they saved fine.

Comment

Please upgrade to the latest available beta. Does the problem still occur?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Hi Wayne, my forum has been down for four days. Three of those days was because we could not get Beta to run. Now we have Alpha running and everything works except this one issue. I am reluctant to give Beta another whirl at this time.

Is that truly the only answer? I opened a support ticket and offered an admin login and password for somebody to take a look. I'm sooooooooooooo close to getting my forum back up. I click "Yes" on 'reply to posts' and Save. But it doesn't save. That close.

Imagine four days of a very popular forum (2 million + page views per month) being down, and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel within your grasp...and then falling short.

Comment

We're only able to provide support for the current version. You really need to upgrade to the laest release, and if there are errors get them logged in the bug tracker. Otherwise they might not be fixed before released.

Comment

Nine hours ago I came to you with this issue. I have the release from four weeks ago - 5.10 Alpha. And after nine hours of waiting for some help, this was your response?

Your latest release (Beta) wasn't working. If you can't support your product, than why are you selling it? You say right at the top of BETA first thing "don't use this in production". We're warned away from it, no?

I have a forum with VBulletin. I have had a forum with VB for seven years. Right now, I have a dead forum. Nobody can reply. So that's not really a forum, is it?

I don't know what to do. If I could pay VBulletin another $200 right now to fix a problem that one of their programmers could go in and solve in FIVE minutes, I would pull out my wallet right now. Just tell me how to go about it. My forum gets 2 million page views every month and is probably the busiest forum you have running your 5.10 software. I'm begging for help here.

Comment

You shouldn't be running a Alpha/Beta as your live forum. Running Alpha and Beta software on your production site is done at your own risk and always has been in the history of vBulletin. Alphas are not supported at all. You need to upgrade to the Beta that is currently available so we can view your test site and figure out what the problem is. If you want quicker support, you should use the ticket system.

For your live production site you should be running 5.0.5, the same version as running on this site.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I'm at the mercy of programmers. I was running 5.05 and had it attached to my other websites via jfusion. And before you cut in and say "we don't support modifications" or something insensitive like that, let me explain. 5.05 wasn't working well with jfusion. Too many login issues. So I wanted it broken off from jfusion but the programmer could not get the login box to reappear. And my programmer in early January quit due to personal reasons. And then my second programmer in mid-January quit/gave up, unable to get the login box to reappear. My third programmer, after three days this week with the forum shut down, finally got it back with the login box thanks to upgrading to Alpha.

But now this one tiny issue that you could solve in five minutes because you know this like the back of your hand, is the only thing between me and happiness.

If I ask my programmer to upgrade to Beta again, after the site being down for four days, I risk the site being down another day. And If I ask him to downgrade to 5.05 I run the risk of the site being down another day also. Or longer.

And if I find yet another programmer - my fourth this month - the site will be down minimum two days as he gets acquainted with the situation.

Again, I'm begging you, can you help. Can you offer some service for $200? One issue. I'm feeling helpless.

Comment

Honestly, I don't know why your permissions are not saving. However it sounds like you have invalid files on the server or your programmer broke the .htaccess file. Both of which can be fixed by upgrading to the beta. The situation doesn't happen in our currently version of vBulletin 5.1.0 Beta that is undergoing testing at this time. It wasn't reported when the Alpha testing was ongoing. I can edit permissions properly on several different beta installs I have on two different servers (one Linux, one Windows).

My suggestion is to upgrade to the Beta and see if the problem continues. It will take you 15 minutes to upload the files and run the upgrade script. No programming is required.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Okay, thanks Wayne. I let my latest programmer go when they failed (again) to upgrade. I brought my original programmer back just to do enough to get the forum back online. He brought the Beta over from the test environment. The usergroup defaults are now all "yes" for posting replies, so the forum for the most part works and is now live again. My readers are happy enough, and most of them can't see anything wrong.

However, the issue remains - if I make a change in the Admin CP to a Usergroup, or perform a 'search' for users, or post an announcement, etc etc - it shoots me to an error URL page and will not save. So on the back end, my hands are tied. I suspect that the last programmers, who I just let go, broke something. The original programmer just returned to help me out of a jam and is dealing with personal stuff, so I can't really go back to him. I have ads up on Guru and E-lance and should have a new - VBulletin experienced - programmer in place by Tuesday.

But if someone has any tips on this issue, or can take 5 minutes to take a quick look now that this is 5.10 Beta, I would be appreciative. That way I can make some fixes myself right away.

PS - the Page Manager also won't work - it asks for my password and when I give it, it asks for it again. And again. Endlessly.

I will put this in the ticket too

Comment