Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Possible to Disable Commenting but still allow Quoting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Possible to Disable Commenting but still allow Quoting?

I went to Message Posting and Editing Options and changed:

Topic Comment Posting
    Enable this option to allow user post comments besides replies on topics.

I changed this from Yes to No and lost both the "Comment" link and the "Quote" link". I just want to remove the ability to leave Comment on individual posts and cannot find where to turn that off specifically.

Any way I can change one without changing both?

Actually... this is how it appears here. Where do I go to set this so my site acts like this site in this regard?

Whoops... wrong. Now I see Quote on the first post and only Comment on this one. Weird...

Comment

You can never comment on the initial post of a topic. Commenting only starts at the 2nd post (unless you deactivate it).

Comment

Originally posted by TLMD View Post
        You can never comment on the initial post of a topic. Commenting only starts at the 2nd post (unless you deactivate it).
        Cool... is there a way to deactivate Commenting that doesn't also deactivate Quoting?

Does anyone still work here? Tickets are getting responded to VERY slowly all of a sudden...

Comment

In the AdminCP there is an option to disable the comments feature. Go to "Settings > Options > Message Posting and Editing Options". There you find "Topic Comment Posting". Select "No". You should still be able to quote posts after you disabled the comments feature.

(I know of a bug that once was in vB5 which removed the quote option when the comments feature was disabled. I definetly has been fixed in vB 5.0.5, since I haven't experienced it anymore. However, it is possible that it wasn't in vB 5.0.4.)

Comment

Yes using the setting TLMD posted you can turn off comments in posts without affecting the ability to quote.
            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Cool. I have no option to download 5.0.5. When will I have this option?

Comment

Originally posted by CygnusFTK View Post
                Cool. I have no option to download 5.0.5. When will I have this option?
                When it's released.

Shouldn't be too far off now.
                MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Thanks, Mark. Can you confirm that this is fixed in 5.0.5? I cannot turn off Commenting without also turning off Quoting in 5.0.4.

Comment

Like I already said above: This issue is gone with 5.0.5.

http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10494
                    Last edited by TLMD; Tue 24 Sep '13, 1:25pm.

Comment

Why thank you!

Comment

This issue is indeed fixed. Score one for the good guys!

Comment