How do I enable guest posting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I enable guest posting?

I want to allow guests to post new topics and posts.

I modified the "Unregistered / Not logged in" group under the usergroup manager, and enabled the following:

can create text/post
    can post topics
    can reply to own topics
    can reply to others topics
    allow bbcode
    allow basic bbcode

I also disabled guest user caching as I read somewhere that it needs to be disabled for guest posting (wtf?)

I now have "create topic" buttons in all my channels/forums/whatever they are called these days, but when I click it I get the error "You are not authorized to view this page"

What other hoops do I need to jump through to get guest posting working in this new version of VBulletin

On a side note... I would install vbulletin 4 because this new version is so terrible, but apperently, even though we pay for this software and our license is meant to cover vbulletin4 as well... it isn't being updated to support php5.4/5.5. That makes me very angry.

What do your Channel Permissions say? Do they allow posting, too?

Comment

If I go to any of the channel permissions, and click on "Unregistered / Not logged in", it is set to "inherit from parent". Not sure what exactly this means.... But I would have thought that if i change the permissions of the group "Unregistered / Not logged in" that it would apply to all the channels, unless i set specific permissions on a channel

Comment

See if this bug is what is causing the issue - http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10329

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by mattewan View Post
          it is set to "inherit from parent". Not sure what exactly this means....
          It means that if you specify permissions at a first level (parent), the sub-level (child) use the same permissions, unless specified different. This can work through instances.

Originally posted by mattewan View Post
          But I would have thought that if i change the permissions of the group "Unregistered / Not logged in" that it would apply to all the channels, unless i set specific permissions on a channel
          True.

Maybe it is the bug that Lynne mentioned above.
          Last edited by TLMD; Thu 5th Sep '13, 2:13pm.

Comment

Thank you both.

I have confirmed that it is indeed that bug mentioned above, and as a temporary fix, have enabled guests to create polls until the next release includes the template fix to fix the issue.

Again, thanks both.

Comment